Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long do your games last?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If a session is 3-5 hours, how many sessions does your group play before moving to the next setting?
One shots only
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
One shots only
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
One shots only
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
One shots only
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
2-3; one big adventure
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
2-3; one big adventure
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
2-3; one big adventure
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
2-3; one big adventure
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
4-8; a mini-campaign
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
4-8; a mini-campaign
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
4-8; a mini-campaign
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
4-8; a mini-campaign
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
9-15; done about everything by then
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
16-25; Savage Settings to the very bloody climax
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
25+; till we run out of ideas, the longer the better
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 168

screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: How long do your games last? Reply with quote

Just wondering how long the typical Savage Worlds campaign lasts. For my group, it's a toss up between 10 sessions and "till the very bloody end."

i really enjoy mini-campaigns (a la Zombie Run), but the Savage Settings have been so cool it seems a shame to finish with 'em so quickly.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 2-3 (one long adventure), but over the course of a month we probably play 6-8 sessions (on average), thus one long adventure and 2-3 one shots per month would be about the norm at my table.

I am savaging my old D&D campaign setting though. It ran (under both D&D and AD&D) for over 20 years. Once savaged, it will be the "standard fantay setting" for my group; however, we'll come and go from it as we please. There are just too many neat settings out there for us to commit to playing in only one for any longer than a single extended adventure (although we might come back for another at some point in the future).
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... it's a mix really.

Lots of one-shots, some mini-campaigns, and then the 'super-minis', almost always 13 episodes long.
Nevada Jim
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies a lot. little bit of this and little bit of that mostly Wink

Truly plausible? Who knows.
Savage? Definitely!
(Clint Black, SW Author, Rule Meister and Evil Genius)
bighara
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 9-15. We played all of EN (12-13 sessions), but we've also played 1-2 session games and the like. Right now I've got 3 SW games going on; one has run about 4-5 sessions, one is going to have session 3 tonight, the other just had its 2nd session last weekend.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bighara wrote:
I voted 9-15. We played all of EN (12-13 sessions), but we've also played 1-2 session games and the like. Right now I've got 3 SW games going on; one has run about 4-5 sessions, one is going to have session 3 tonight, the other just had its 2nd session last weekend.

I never run more than one game at a time ... my mind just can't keep it all straight! Wink
screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
I never run more than one game at a time ... my mind just can't keep it all straight! Wink

That's me too. i think we'll have some overlap because everyone is so gung ho about ToD, but normally we completely finish one campaign/series before moving on to another one.

i think that's because we all sort of know that once a new game starts up, the old one fades and people aren't inclined to go back to it. So for the most part our group is a one game at a time group.

Or maybe that's just me and my players are humoring me. Surprised
bighara
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only running one of these three SW games, I'm playing in the other two.

...Though I am running an online BD&D campaign as well. Smile
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bighara wrote:
I'm only running one of these three SW games, I'm playing in the other two.

...Though I am running an online BD&D campaign as well. Smile

Oddly enough, I don't play Savage Worlds anymore -- I only GM it. As a player, I prefer HERO (bizzare, isn't it?). Our GM is so good that the rules (after character creation) actually fade into the background.
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:

Oddly enough, I don't play Savage Worlds anymore -- I only GM it. As a player, I prefer HERO (bizzare, isn't it?). Our GM is so good that the rules (after character creation) actually fade into the background.

Not weird at all!

The nice thing about HERO is, most of the really crunchy system work is front-loaded into the character creation.

You do tend to end up with some busy character sheets... lol.. but you'll pretty much have everything you need at your fingertips.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:

Not weird at all!

The nice thing about HERO is, most of the really crunchy system work is front-loaded into the character creation.

You do tend to end up with some busy character sheets... lol.. but you'll pretty much have everything you need at your fingertips.

The flexibility and internal consistency is what hooked me. You really need learn only a few simple rules (although there are a lot of different terms and abbreviations to learn) and you're up and running. The ability to create ANY type of character in ANY type of setting is also a plus. I think the HERO Sidekick is one of the best things they've ever done -- I was so enamored of the system that I actually went out and bought the 5E rules and the Fanatsy HERO rulebbok -- I NEVER spend money like that!

When it's all said and done though, it's not a system I'd like to GM (Savage Worlds has me hooked there), but as a player, I love it. Wink
Leitchy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group likes L-O-N-G campaigns; our Shadowrun campaign has been going for over a decade, and the players STILL insist that my old Harn campaign is alive, even though I haven't GMed it in over two years. Smile

Right now, we have my 1920's pulp game which is a homebrew that'll probably last for around 24 episodes, and the Savage Harn campaign, which looks to continue for several years...and in which we've already gamed a dozen of so sessions in three months.
screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 24 gaming groups playing Savage Worlds? Surprised

You can be apathetic about voting for governments, but about gaming related issues? Wink
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to play ANY game 'till boredom, disinterest, or GM writer's block sets in. This can take 1 session to 8 years of playing (though admittedly, not very frequently playing the same game more than two times in a row).
9 players, of which 6 GM's, each 3 games average, ...
I played NE through 6 sessions in a month, and this was a strange but positive experience for me as GM, and my players. FREQUENCY!
Ian
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our sessions are at the low end of session length but we tend to have a lot more sessions. our campaigns tend to go on and on until we have completed the story arc (Evernight) or the campaign folds though there are campaigns which cpild be started again once writer's block is overcome. Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: