Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tactical combat with hex grid?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use an hex grid in your miniature's combat?
Yes, I use an hex grid.
73%
 73%  [ 22 ]
No, I use an hex free terrain and tape misurations.
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 30

Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we're inveterate geeks.

Which MIGHT have been given away by the fact that we're online, talking about a roleplaying game, but you never know.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pineappleleader wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Oh, and one inch equals two meters in my games. The imperial system drives me nuts. It will be glorious day indeed when America gives it up.

NEVER! I use Good Old American Inches, Yards, Miles, etc. Time is based on 12 not 10, so distances vs. time never come out correctly if the metric system is used.

Which made me think why people started to use a system of 2 x 12 hours, instead of dividing a day in 10 (or 10 x 10) equal parts.
Our physiology makes it easy and logical to work in increments of 10 (10 fingers, 10 toes). Math is generally based around 10 too, so why suddenly the change when using time (and the Imperial system)?

IMO everyone's just going to defend his own system he was raised with (wether good or bad), so to me,
end of endless/pointless discussion.

I was raised with Metric, but use Imperial for wargaming and map-rpg.

Never tried Hexes.
Patrick
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
pineappleleader wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Oh, and one inch equals two meters in my games. The imperial system drives me nuts. It will be glorious day indeed when America gives it up.

NEVER! I use Good Old American Inches, Yards, Miles, etc. Time is based on 12 not 10, so distances vs. time never come out correctly if the metric system is used.

Which made me think why people started to use a system of 2 x 12 hours, instead of dividing a day in 10 (or 10 x 10) equal parts.
Our physiology makes it easy and logical to work in increments of 10 (10 fingers, 10 toes). Math is generally based around 10 too, so why suddenly the change when using time (and the Imperial system)?

IMO everyone's just going to defend his own system he was raised with (wether good or bad), so to me,
end of endless/pointless discussion.

I was raised with Metric, but use Imperial for wargaming and map-rpg.

Never tried Hexes.

Basically because there are twelve moons/months a year and early man hooked onto that number.

And just cuz' we think 10 feels nice and friendly, doesn't mean past cultures have. The Babylonians used base 60 math
Quote:
The Babylonian scale of enumeration is known as the sexagesimal system. What that means is that the Babylonians used 60 as their base, much as we tend to use the decimal system (base 10) in the [modern world]. In the sexagesimal system, each time a "digit" is moved to the left its value increases by a factor of 60. When you represent a whole number in the sexagesimal system the last space "digit" is for the numbers from 1 to 59, the next to the last space "digit" for multiples of 60, then the next space "digit" for multiples of 60^2 = 3600, the next preceding space "digit" for multiples of 60^3 = 216,000, and so forth...

That's gott’a be worth a headache or two... now try doing trigonometry, geometry, or calculus with Roman numerals Surprised IV(MCVI to the III power) plus the square root of XXV
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play on my hex grid battlemat that I bought a couple decades ago. Still in very good condition.

Gordon
obatron
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tact-Tiles (http://bc-products.net/)...and since they don't have a hex version yet, I use squares. Smile
Mr.Joel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory we use hexes for outdoors (because there's no diagonal issue) and squares for indoors and dungeons (because the layouts tend to be square). In practice, once one of our several Chessex Multiple Mega-Mats is down, we just keep using that one, writing on it with whiteboard markers. And of course we have tons of WorldWorks scenery and our GM's apparently infinite supply of minis.

Re: Time based on 12 and math based on 60. These numbers are not arbitrary (and have nothing to do with months in a year). 12 is the lowest number divisible by 2, 3, and 4, not to mention 6. 60 (12 x 5) is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. So when you want units that can be split nicely into a lot of fractions, something apparently important to ancient cultures, you go with 12 and its multiples. Think about how "20 minutes" is a universally-understood increment of time; you can't do that with decimal, because it's a third of an hour.

thus ends Science Hour for today kids Wink
lordthrog
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT: I just want to add fuel to the fire on distances et al. There is a standard unit of measurement for large distances here in the US. The Football Field. For example, the USS North Carolina is 900-some-odd feet long, that's slightly longer than 3 football fields. Of course it helps to know that a football field is 100 yards long without the end zones.

Back on topic, my group uses a Cheesex square battlemat. We don't worry about the diagonals, that not FFF.

"So, what weapon should I use? I'm very proficient with the Spork, but I also swing a mean sock of Legos." - Bucky Katt
Preatori0us
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football fields being used as a measurements isn't as bad as "a rhubarb's length". Yes I've heard it.

hex grids annoy the crap outta me, but I have no reason for it. We only use minis if the scrum is a little too big, or in special situations where we need to know exactly where everyone is.
Ian
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a hex grid virtually all the time and use free form only whjen I want things to be confusing or the characters can not close with the enemy. Ian
Stephen Peto
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

Quote:
I still refer to things in inches and feet and miles per hour.

Yeah, I use the Great British Hybrid system too. Beer in pints, Speed in Miles per Hour, screw threads in milimetres etc.

On the table top I tend to use a square grid 1inch/25mm as I've a gridded Chessex mat, sometimes some dungeon tiles, and other times just measure with a tape measure.

Cheers
Stephen Peto
The Angle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex grids are best for outdoors, caverns, and any other place with irregular outlines. Square grids are best for towns and other unnatural, rectilinear places. Since I don't require pieces to be neatly positioned on the grid but use it more for eyeball measurement, it doesn't matter much to me. For years, however, my favorite RPG was The Fantasy Trip (which evolved into GURPS). It used a hex grid for everything, so I have a soft spot for hexes.

Steve

Last edited by The Angle on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using hexes since I first got Melee/Wizard from Metagaming in 1979 and I never looked back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: