Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survivor Settlements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should this topic be archived?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Too late
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Too late
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Too late
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Too late
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 104

Kain A. Ashburner
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always wondered what would happen if you took chrushed ghost rock like coke. Other than probably dying. I guess Black Line (from LC) is the closest we get for that.

I'm almost certain that would cause the user to contract Ghost Rock Fever. Probably alot rarer in the future than it was in the old west, but just as deadly.
Snap_Dragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always belived in human ingenuity. I think you would see in a post apocolyptic setting a lot of rather inventive ways of having fun.

Reinacting old plays, tv shows or movies (ala reign of fire (dear God that was shity movie)) would probably be popular. Also I expect you would see a lot of post apocolyptic 'reality tv', such as criminals fighting for there lives in arenas.

Religious sermor

I also thing that people would come up with all sorts of peicemeal substitutes for old nessesities, or labour savors. I'm sure every farming town would try to rig up an irrigation system for their crops for example.

Heck oil can be found in a lot of places in small deposites (ie. non-economicly feasable to drill before the war). Heck here in Kelowna some early settlers to the area refined some of their own fuels on a stove and pumped oil from a small deposite using a windmil.
Torque
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutants are sort of a cross between Indians and Lepers in this setting. They are viewed with hostility and disgust by most people. They are also probably viewed as unclean. A lot of folks would probablybe in a hurry to go take a bath after accidentally brushing up against a mutant. And this is the wasted west so that's pretty extraordinary.
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and i'd imagine that quite a few shanty towns have sprung up a mile or so away from any medium to large settlement, just for the mutants.

Sucks in their own way...
Emiricol
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, may I repost your chart on my wiki for my Savage Twilight 2000 section?
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think about the great population centers in the past where the only energy where windmills and fire (for heating and cooking), and fertilisers where not common at all.

Rome had a population of about 1.000.000 people before the middle ages, and still around 100.000 while the middle ages.

I think one can learn a lot by just looking at the past (middle ages 'n such).
People back then didn't have the tech benefits they have now (tractors, fertilizers), but they do had knowhow of agriculture, passed down through generations by experiencing it first-hand. Seeing as to how the entire West will have to resort to agriculture all of a sudden, no-one has experienced farming like this firsthand, only a few read something in books. Keeping in mind that the Wasted West is a downright terrible spot for farming (with Fall-out, contaminated water/soil, and generally nasty to downright deadly weather). Keeping cattle was a luxury back then, and with all the monsters nowadays this will be even more so. Horses were normally only for the rich, who could afford maintenance of horses. Nowadays, most horses would've been eaten, 'xcept for those who were very well protected and cared for by their owners.
Back in the middle ages about every four years, depending on the weather, there is a terrible harvest. These years crime, rebellion, and plain old cannibalism were common as men lost all reason due to hunger.
I'd think a medieval condition is comparable, as any Tech assets are offset by lack of experience, terrible weather conditions and nasty critters.

For a more contemporary comparison, look at the developing countries: see for example how whole villages become dependent on the sole village tractor, and how they are in dire trouble 'cause there's no fuel left or a necessary component breaks down (with no spare parts, and no-one to repair it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: