Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which type of paper miniatures/figure flats would you prefer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which type of paper miniatures/figure flats would you prefer to get from GWG?
The three-sided type currently provided
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
Two-sided types ala Cardboard Heroes that fold to provide their own stand
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 180

Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
db0 wrote:
You know what I would prefer? Instead of the standard 3-sided with the shade on the back, a 3 sided with a blank on the back so that I can write up it's main stats like Parry, Toughness, Fighting, Damage and not have to look it up.

That, my friend, is a frickin brilliant idea. Cool Give yourself a pat on your back from me. Now, if there was just an easy way to implement it...

Hear, Hear!!!
I tend to prefer 3 sided anyway, but if I can squeeze basic stats on the back... Laughing
Especially when you get the players to help out during the fight!

I've even found Four sided..., front, back and two side drawings!

By the way, for stability, I glue a penny to the bottom. The weight of the paper is so little you can take a handful, toss them on the table, and they almost always land on their feet!
agentofping
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 50 Fathoms flats and initially I did what Shane suggested, cut off one of the panels and use them in a plastic base. I've got tons of the old SJ Cardboard Heroes (man, that Denis Loubet could draw!) and that seemed the way to go. Now I just use the 3-sided versions. I spend less time setting up a fight, not having to stick them into the bases and find they are more stable on the board.

I like very much the suggestion of being able to write stats on a blank panel, that's a cracking idea. What I would really like to see from future releases would be actual representations of important NPCs and perhaps more 'singles' that could be used for PCs. I only have the 50 Fathoms set so I don't know if this is the case for the others, but I was a bit disappointed by the small number of choices of individual figures you could use for PCs & NPC personalities and the fact that there were no specific figures for important NPCs like Blackbeard etc.

Agent

Here be Ctoan
wmarshal
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, does anyone know why the poll is all messed up with it showing 8 different entries? It currently has four entries with 16 votes each for 3-sided flats, and four entries with 15 votes each for 2-sided flats. Has there been 124 votes (unlikely?) or is it really a total of 31 votes, 16 to 15?

Myself, I much prefer the 3-sided flats. I have never gotten into the 2-sided variety. As mentioned before the 3-sided flats are more stable, and by the time I buy the bases for the 2-sided flats I've probably spent more money than I did on ink for the third facing.

I also like the idea of converting the back facing from a silhouette to a very basic stat block. Maybe four entries for Toughness, Parry, Attack (would be whichever of Fighting, Shooting or Throwing you wanted) and Damage (for whichever attack form was created). So long as you remember to write it lightly in pencil you should be able to re-use the stat block. If you go beyond four stats I'm afraid you might make them so small that people would have to pick them up to read the stats.

As for metal miniatures, I have quite a few for the wargames I play (WH40K and WarMachine), but I actually prefer the 3-sided flats over metal miniatures. In role-playing, especially the fantasy genre, there is such a wide variety of creatures that I need my gaming dollar to go as far as possible, and the 3-sided flats do that for me. I do have some metal miniatures for my Deadlands game, but I got those for my players, not the endless hordes of mooks they go against.
Mike McCall
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two-sided for me, definitely. I just find the three-sided ones annoying, aesthetically. I also don't find two-siders any more unstable, but that's because I don't glue 'em. I cut 'em out, fold the bottoms under, fold the front/back into a V, and they're stable. Not only that, but when you make your own (which I do, usually using HeroMachine, but sometimes drawing), you get more per page than you do with the tri-folds.

As for pewter (pew-TUR, JB) or plastic, they're not really my thing. I'm not a good painter, I don't have massive amounts of money, and I'm a stickler for having representative figures out on the table. Otherwise, it detracts from the magic of the game. And I prefer my figs to be inspired by my adventure ideas, not vice-versa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmarshal wrote:
First, does anyone know why the poll is all messed up with it showing 8 different entries? It currently has four entries with 16 votes each for 3-sided flats, and four entries with 15 votes each for 2-sided flats. Has there been 124 votes (unlikely?) or is it really a total of 31 votes, 16 to 15?

Actually, it's 36 votes as of this post.

The reason is that this thread is now over two years old. There was an update to the forum at one point that had a weird glitch. All the options for the polls in existence at that time were quadrupled. If you look at any thread with a poll before a certain date, they are all like that.

As seen here, it doesn't really alter the results of the poll. A vote for one option is applied to all 4, so the ratios stay they same. It's just weird.

www.peginc.com
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit of the Viper was where it all began for me. Smile For those who haven't heard me talk about it before, the Marvel FASERIP system was the first non-D&D game I owned, and I used it for everything (Conan, Mad Max, etc). (I still have the first module I ever put together that's basically a Mad Max ripoff--I should type it up sometime and convert it to SW.)

And for the record, I do all of mine as two sided. I cut off the third "color" side and have front and back (silhouette). I also use red bases for Wild Cards and white for everyone else. Helps you see what's what on the game mat.

Shane Savage Jack
loungingbear
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red base/white base thing IS a good tip! Thanks, Shane.

Also, all of the old Marvel FASERIP books are available as free downloads (including the figure flats) from classicmarvel.com here.
solabusca
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the three sided miniatures, partially because it's a throwback to the old TSR Indiana Jones/MSH miniatures - why do I feel like I'm one of the only people who actually played the Indiana Jones RPG?

Mind you, I have a slew of 80's-era pulp RPGs kicking around - Justice Inc, Daredevils, Indiana Jones... now I need to dig them out of storage to satisfy my nostalgia and packrat urges.

.j.
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer paper fold ups over metal or plastic miniatures:

1. They are cheaper...
2. I can print them in masses, if needed
3. They can be easily customized, especially resized and recolored...
4. They are more leightweight
5. It doesn't hurt if one got crushed (see 2.)

As for the form of the paper miniatures i'm more on the three-sided ones, because:

1. They don't need a base
2. They don't need a base
3. Did i say it: They don't need a base

Mostly i do the backsides of my figures in black because it is easier to perceive on paper and/or b/w printing. If i had to make special "wild cards" i would make them with a different colored back.
Our wild cards are mostly made of cardboard, while the extras are all in paper.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: