Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Rules Questions for Deadlands: Reloaded
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one came from off the forum, but I thought I'd post it here for completeness sake.

Quote:
How do the bonuses for extended rituals work for Shamans?

Short version:

They perform the ritual and get the bonus on their next Tribal Medicine roll.

Long version:

The Shaman can perform the extended ritual when the GM deems appropriate. In general, the short (1 minute) ritual could be performed at any time and most places. The longer ritual (20 minutes to a day or more) requires more prep and at least occuring outside of "civilization" if not in a special place of power or medicine lodge (which could provide a larger bonus as mentioned).

The Shaman that performs the ritual (or heads up the ritual in the case of multiple participants) gains the bonus listed on his next Tribal Medicine roll. It does not have to immediately follow completing the ritual. The next power activated will have the bonus, even if it is not the one originally intended.

Note that Shamans can't "stack" ritual bonuses or accumulate them. They get whatever bonus applies from the last ritual performed, and the effects of any prior ritual are nullified.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Blessed and the BS rule ;) Reply with quote

Magog777 wrote:
Upon reading Clint's tirade Wink in the Blessed debate, he mentioned that AB Chi Mastery is the only AB that gets a price break for thier casting skills. Is this written in the rules or just implied?

It's in the rules, but to clarify, it's not that they get a price break compared to other ABs; it's that they get a price break compared to how AB: Superpowers works normally.

Normal Superpower skills aren't linked to any Attribute, so they always cost more to increase. Chi Mastery has all the skills linked to Spirit, so any cost up to Spirit is basically "half price."

The other question is one of opinion, so I'll start a separate thread for that.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Evil Model: D wrote:
I'm thinking about doing some Great Rail Wars: Reloaded. Are there any Showdown points (or a guide line for figuring them out) for the new edges and hindrances in the DL:RL book?

No, there aren't.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin9793 wrote:
Reloading:
After reading the rules, it sounds like I have to reload my six shooter one bullet per round. Is this correct?
It would take 6 rounds to fully reload?

Nope. Check page 62 of DL:R. In this setting, you spend one action to fully reload your weapon, that's it.

Kevin9793 wrote:
Hitting with a raise:
Say I'm shooting at someone and I get lucky with the aces.
My target number to hit is a 4 and I roll a 12.
That's a hit with two raises. Do I add 2 bonus six siders (1 per raise) to the damage roll, or is it just +1d6 no matter how many raises?

It's just one +1d6 no matter how many raises. So, there's no reason to keep rolling after the first raise is generated, just move on to damage and keep the action moving.

Plus, on a design note, that keeps Called Shots a viable tactic. There'd be little reason to take a -4 penalty to hit for +4 damage if the same roll would provide an additional +1d6 damage that could ace. This way, if your character had taken a Called Shot and rolled the 12 as in the example above, he would have gotten +1d6+4 added to his damage.

Kevin9793 wrote:
Fannin' the Hammer:
I just need some verification on this one. I guess the other games i've played have fuddled my mind Razz
Let's say I want to fan the hammer and fire 6 shots at one target.
I roll 6 seperate attack dice (each at -4) and then roll seperate damage dice for each shot that hits.
Is this correct?

Yep.

Kevin9793 wrote:
Also, do i get to roll a wild die with each individual shot?

Nope. You roll one Shooting die for each shot and only a single Wild Die. The Wild Die can substitute for only one of the Shooting dice.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJonUK wrote:
Weird Science weapon for the bolt spell, if charged up to fire 3 shots does the weird scientist make 3 shootin' rolls and a wild dice to see if each bolt hits, or does he just make one roll, and if he succeeds then all the bolts hit?

It's three Shooting Dice and one Wild Die. Just like autofire without the -2 penalty.

EvilJonUK wrote:
Another bolt question, if a huxter deals with the devil to get the same 3 bolt shot, assuming he gets the hand does he automatically hit no matter what the range since there is no roll for powers involving deals with the devil.

Where are the rules for black magic? How many power points/spells do they have (or is it like blessed or voodooists?) Is there any backfire rolls?

Check out the errata thread when possible; these and more are covered in that.

The quick answer is that hucksters do have to roll to determine success even when Dealing with the Devil unless they get a certain hand or higher (where they get specific results).

Black Magic works like AB: Magic from the core rulebook as far as PPs, recharging, backfires, etc...

EvilJonUK wrote:
Gatling pistols - Gatling pistols have a rate of fire of 2 so I assume they fall under the autofire rule from savage worlds since they have only 12 bullets does that mean they are out of ammo after 3 shots (ROF 2 = 2 x 2 bullets fired each shot)

Pretty much, but, to be specific, they would be out of ammo after 3 actions consisting of 6 shots total (since the character gets 2 shots per action).

EvilJonUK wrote:
Injury table - When making the vigor roll to find out if the injury is permanent do you apply wound penalties?

Yep. Wound modifiers always apply to Trait rolls after the wounds themselves have been applied. (That "exception" relates to Soak rolls. Soak rolls don't suffer the penalty for any wounds they are attempting to reduce as they have not been applied yet.)

EvilJonUK wrote:
Wound penalties and Fatigue do you apply both or just the worst?

Both. As I once said, "It sucks to be cold, wet, hungry, and beaten within an inch of your life." Wink

Hope this helps! Be sure and check out that errata; it might help clear other things up too.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Full Defense = Bad Gamble? Reply with quote

HommeTruite wrote:
Is the Full Defense action supposed to be an improved version of the Defend action (even if it doesn't allow movement), or is it a completely different, similarly-named action that just happens to also increase your Parry?

Full Defense does not replace Defend. The description even says at the end if the character wants to move, use the Defend manuever instead.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HommeTruite wrote:
I have a couple questions about Fate Chip interactions:

1- How many Red or Blue chips can one add to a given roll (say, to soak a large number of Wounds from a ludicrously Aced-up damage roll)?

As many as the player has and wants to use.

HommeTruite wrote:
2- If I added a Red/Blue Fate Chip to a roll, what happens if I decide to reroll using a White Chip? Do I reroll the Trait and Wild Die, and add whatever I got on the Red/Blue Chip die to the total?

Nope, you reroll all the dice, including the bonus dice from the previously spent Fate Chips and come up with a brand new total.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fanning and Supressive fire Reply with quote

skylion wrote:
Can you use fanning the hammer, not for purposes of damage, but as an option for Supressive Fire? I mean, that lead is flying and it equals win if everyone in that Template gets Shaken.

Officially, no. Suppressive Fire is for Autofire weapons only. Fanning might work like autofire, but it isn't the same thing. Plus, Suppressive Fire requires using 5x the weapon's normal ROF in bullets to achieve. Even allowing a minimum ROF of 2, not even the Lemat holds the 10 bullets necessary to pull off Suppressive Fire. (Although as a side note, a Gatling Pistol could do it.)

Unofficially, I might allow fanning the hammer to do Suppressive Fire in a Small Burst Template (not Medium), but it would take firing a minimum of 6 bullets (a full load for most revolvers).

skylion wrote:
If you can use it for Supressive Fire, can you take a multi-action pentalty to still try for damage? Yes, it's a -6 to your roll, but you might just get lucky at least once, right?

Even if the GM allowed Suppressive Fire, this would be disallowed per the rules. A character can only take one action of a particular type per round, barring being able to perform said action with the offhand (impossible with fanning which requires both hands to perform anyway).

In other words (barring some special ability), a character can't make two Shooting rolls with the same gun in the same round.

Hope that's clear. If not, let me know.

Edit: Added an important clarification by Markus...

DerFinsterling wrote:
I just wanted to add that Suppressive fire may cause damage anyway - if the target rolls a '1' on the Spirit die.
Maybe Skylion was missing that, if not, my apologies.

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos Steve wrote:
clint wrote:
EvilJonUK wrote:
Gatling pistols - Gatling pistols have a rate of fire of 2 so I assume they fall under the autofire rule from savage worlds since they have only 12 bullets does that mean they are out of ammo after 3 shots (ROF 2 = 2 x 2 bullets fired each shot)

Pretty much, but, to be specific, they would be out of ammo after 3 actions consisting of 6 shots total (since the character gets 2 shots per action).

Do gatlin guns incur the -2 automatic fire penalty too? It's seems they would, but just checking.

Yep. Rock and Roll! looks very nice come Seasoned Rank. Wink

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Alchemy only? Reply with quote

mr4ever wrote:
Can a mad scientist choose to use alchemy only, instead of being able to create gizmos and potions? And if so, would the starting power points be halved or normal?

Officially, the character has to know how to make the gizmo in order to make the alchemical version. Course, that doesn't mean they have to make the gizmo, but they still "pay" for it.

Optionally, the Marshal could allow the player to have an "Alchemy only" version of Mad Science if they meet the requirements for the Alchemy Edge. But they would still be working off of half the PPs as if they had the gizmo option. Later on, they could take an Edge to be able to make gizmos at the full PP ability.

In essense, it's just reversing the order of taking gizmos and alchemy, but the rules stay they same. Still, it's up to the Marshal.

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funfetus wrote:
Regarding prairie ticks (regular ones, not the swarms or queens):

I can't find any mention of attack damage, aside from the fact that they go down the throat on a raise. Do they do their strength as damage on a successful attack? Or do they have no standard attack?

Yep, they just do Strength damage like any other character without a specific attack form.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quickness and Dueling Reply with quote

Man With No Username wrote:
Does the Quickness power have any effect on Dueling?

Hmm, Dueling happens outside the normal combat round sequence, so that's tricky.

I'd say would allow the character to draw and fire without the penalty for drawing the weapon if he went for speed, and that would eat up the base duration of the power at the minimum, and that's if someone is able to cast just before the duel begins.

If I was feeling very nice, I might even give the character an extra hole card (though they could still only use two of them) if a raise was garnered on the activation roll.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday wrote:
Hucksters can gamble with the Manitou for power points, or they can spend their own power points, and, either way, they get magic. That's easy.

Can a huckster:
A) Spend *part* of the cost themselves, and gamble for the remainder? So if I want to cast a 6 power Hex but don't want to go for a minimum Straight, can I spend *4* points and gamble for the last two?

B) Spend personal PP to maintain a Hex that was paid for by the Manitou?

C) Gamble for additional PP to maintain a Hex?

D) Apply gambled points over the initial requirement to the duration? If I want to cast Missed Me (costs 1 PP) and I get a straight (6PP), can I have those extra 5 points applied to extending Missed Me's duration? And what happens to that duration if I pull a straight flush?

The book doesn't seem to cover these. A is *implied* to be not allowed by the wording.

So. Is there an official answer on these?

Yep.

A) Nope.

B) Nope.

C) Yes. That falls under the part about determining any variables. For example, if the huckster wanted to cast Deflection and have it last 2 extra rounds (5 rounds total), he would be rolling to get 4 PPs (base 2 + 2 for the extra duration).

D) Nope. Unless the huckster specifically gambles for the additional PPs, the "excess PPs are lost" as normal.

And a straight flush works just like 5 of a kind except for the draw from the fate pot, so the duration would work the same as that result, being able to turn the power on and off at will for 24 hours.

In general, Dealing with the Devil and the "normal" casting of hexes cannot be intermixed. The manitous aren't there to make the hucksters' lives easier; they're there to get them to push themselves too far.

Hope this helps. If anything isn't clear, just let me know.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanee wrote:
A quick follow-up question (even though, I suspect the answer is no here as well Smile):

Can someone with Whateley Blood combine the PP gained by 'blood magic' with those from Dealing with the Devil?

You are correct; the answer is no. It's still their PPs.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Ramel Korys wrote:
Fanning the Hammer - can you fan when you are engaged in HtH combat with your hogleg in hand? TN would be Parry, as always.

It's still a pistol, so it can be done.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday wrote:
Another question on hucksters and dealing with the devil.

Hypothetically, we have The World's Greatest Huckster. He has 6 Grit and all the extra card-drawing and redrawing Edges. He aims for a Flush and makes it regularly, meaning he can cast almost anything pretty reliably.

What happens when he decides he wants Missed Me to be up for the rest of his life, and decides to target "two billion power points" as his goal, knowing that if he hits that Flush it goes off with a raise regardless of PP cost?

I can think of a hundred good things to do to him at that point - I'm just not seeing an "official answer" and I'm curious about what you'd suggest.

As a followup, where would you start applying penalties for overreaching like that, or rule that he really needs higher than a flush to get that much power? 10 PP? 20 PP? 40 PP? How many PP would you say is the max "reasonable" amount to get in a single Deal With The Devil?

I'd simply limit the huckster to requesting no more PP's that his own pool maximum.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodshadows wrote:
For AB: Chi, I assume all powers are for the martial artists hands, feet, head, ect. The reason I ask is because I can already forsee the player in my group who just made a martial artist asking why he can't use his bo-staff with certain powers like Blast. My take is that the Chi must be channeled through the body, not inanimate objects like weapons.

So just to clarify, no weapons can be used with any of the powers fo enhanced damage or range can they?

Well, yes and no. Unless the GM rules otherwise, the power effects are not going to change.

For instance, the player can say the character is using his bo staff as part of the blast power, but it doesn't change the effect of the power itself. The effects of the power supercede the character's innate melee damage that's just part of the trappings.

On the other hand, smite specifically enhances the damage of a melee attack. That is the specific effect, so the character could use the power to enhance his bo staff with the power. But he would have to choose to enhance the staff or his unarmed attacks; he can't do both without two uses of the power.

Hope this clears things up. If not, let me know.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Martial Arts Edge and Unarmed Defender rule Reply with quote

chatterbox wrote:
The Martial Arts edge states that "Your character's body is a finely honed weapon so, even when your hero fights unarmed, he is considered armed."

Does this mean that a character with the Martial Arts edge fighting unarmed against a character without the Martial Arts edge, who is also unarmed, can get a +2 to their Fighting roll by invoking the "Unarmed Defender" rule?

Yep, they are considered "armed" with all that entails.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Martial Styles Reply with quote

OJ wrote:
Can styles be used with melee weapons? Can I use Mantis style with my sectional staff for the speed bonus? Can I use Shaolin style with my sectional staff for a 1d6 damage bonus? #1icon_bow

Any style that is specifically restricted to unarmed combat should state as such in its description. However, upon looking, it's not under Shaolin though it should be. I'll add that to the errata.

Hope this helps and thanks!

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday wrote:
What happens when a Shaman buys Rapid Recharge? Does his PP Regen rate drop to 1/15 minutes? What if he then buys Improved Rapid Recharge?

If Rapid Recharge does nothing for him (since it says it sets his PP regen rate to the same as it is currently), does he still need to spend an Edge on it before he can buy Improved Rapid Recharge?

That's covered in the errata. Check it out here...

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128364&highlight=twice+usual+rate#128364

But basically, shamans recover at twice their rate (whatever that is) in the proper conditions.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: