Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we Savage this...
Yea...
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Nay...
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

caul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: World War Reply with quote

Worldwar is a series of four alternate history science fiction novels by Harry Turtledove.

The premise of the series is an alien invasion of Earth in the middle of World War II. The military invasion begins on or around May 30, 1942, but the aliens, who call themselves the Race, reached Earth orbit in December of 1941. Presumably, six months were spent making preparations for the attack.

Although the Race, a reptilian species, has the advantage of superior technology, their last information on humans was collected by a robotic probe during the 12th century. Their technology is only slightly ahead of what we have today: hydrogen based engines, holographic projectors, and cold sleep being among the technologies not in common use at the start of the 21st century. The "Lizards," as their human antagonists quickly dub them, are extremely surprised that mankind has progressed so far since their probe visited Earth. No species they have ever encountered has advanced so rapidly: they thought the toughest military force on the planet would still be Crusader knights on horses.

On finding the real situation, the commander of the alien fleet considers turning back and asking for fresh instructions but feels that he would lose face if he does.

The narrative follows the intersecting fortunes of a large number of human and alien characters. Most notably the series depicts how the Axis and Allied powers must cooperate to fight the alien menace. A follow-up trilogy, Colonization, carries the story forward into a very different 1960s. The timeline ends with Homeward Bound.

I am currently in the middle of the Colonization trilogy, and I have to say it is very interesting stuff. If you haven't read it, please take my advice and pick it up.

So, should we Savage it? I'm going to start adding thoughts here when they come to me...
I'm a zombie me...
caul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Race

The Race, called Lizards by humans in their various tongues, are bipedal, reptilian, and rather small, standing barely above waist height to the average human. Scales of moderate greenish brown cover their body, and differ little between specimens, male or female. Their slightly hunching bodies are balanced by a short tail stump, and though very dexterous, their hands have only three clawed fingers and one thumb. Setting them strikingly apart from the reptilian species of Earth, The Race have eyes that protrude form their heads on short stalks, allowing them to look in different directions at once.
Agile: Despite their apparent awkwardness, members of The Race are surprisingly quick and dexterous. They start with a d6 in Agility instead of a d4.
Natural Weapons: The claws and fanged mouths of The Race allow them to claw or bite in combat, doing Str+1 damage. However, most members of The Race would see this as barbaric and distasteful.
Small: Member of The Race average only about 4' in height. Their small size subtracts 1 from their Toughness.
Weakness: The Race abhors the cold, and suffer a -1 penalty to any action in a cold environment if not protected from the temperature.
I'm a zombie me...
caul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills

All Skills are acceptable in this setting

Hindrances

The following Hindrances are unsuitable to the setting as a whole:

Doubting Thomas

The following starting Hindrances are unsuitable for The Race:

Anemic
Bad Eyes
Blind
Elderly
Illiterate
Lame
Obese
One Arm
One Eye
One Leg
Pacifist
Poverty
Vengeful
Wanted
Young

All starting Hindrances are suitable for Humans, save those unsuitable to the setting.

Edges

The following Edges are unsuitable to the setting as a whole:

Arcane Background (Any)
Arcane Resistance
Improved Arcane Resistance
Giant Killer
New Power
Power Points
Rapid Recharge
Improved Rapid Recharge
Soul Drain
Champion
Gadgeteer
Holy/Unholy Warrior
Mentalist
Mr. Fix It
Wizard
I'm a zombie me...
Patrick
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about the race's susceptibility to ginger addiction Laughing

Damn good set of books! When you done Savaging this you should definitely post it over at Savage Heroes.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I could use Warhammer's Skinks for the Lizards? Question

Having just heard of this series from this thread I'm gonna run out and find the books. Smile

Unfortunately, there's a gazzilion great novels and serieses out there...

There's another good one by Allen Dean Foster about a faction of aliens that need cannon fodder for an up comming galactic war, little did they realize that humans have been practicing for centuries... #firepower

Thanks, Steve
caul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technology of The Race

The technology of The Race is not so different from that of the 21st century, though to the freedom fighters of World War II this would indeed be very advanced. Many of their weapons and gear can easily be replicated by using info from the SWC, and where permitting, equivalents will be suggested.

Weapons

Lizard Rifle
Lizards do not appear to have or use any other personal firearm other than their basic rifle, which is much better than the equivalent Thompson of the Americans.
Lizard Rifle Range 24/48/96; Damage 2d8+1; RoF 3; Weight 8; Shots 50; Min Str -; Notes AP 2, Semi-Auto, Auto, 3RB

Lizard Machine Gun
When fortifying a position, the Lizards are known to use an emplaced heavy machine gun, again much better than human equivalents. This same model is also equipped on their helicopters and landcruisers.
Lizard Machine Gun Range 50/100/200; Damage 2d10+1; RoF 3; Weight 76; Shots 500; Min Str -; Notes AP 4, May Not Move, Auto, 3RB, HW

Lizard Artillary
The artillary of the Lizards is deadly accurate, being targeted from long distances by skelkwank light. Artillary should be treated more as an environmental hazard, as the emplacements and crew are likely to be far from the present conflict. Due to the skelkwank targeting system, the GM should determine where the artillary is going to hit in secret, two or three rounds before the strike.
Lizard Artillary Range Miles; Damage Varies; RoF 1; Weight 124; Shots 10; Min Str -; Notes Varies
Ammunition
HE Shell Damage 3d10+1; Burst Medium; Notes AP 15, HW
Shrapnel Shell Damage 3d8+1; Burst Medium; Notes AP 6
Bomblet Shell Damage Special; Burst Large; Notes releases bomblets over Burst area (traveling through an area laiden with mines presents a 3 in 6 chance of setting one off)

Lizard Bomblets
During conflict, Lizards will use bomblets, the rought equivalent of earthly landmines, as often as any human force, though of course they are much more advanced. On the plus side, once you have grown used to looking for the small glowing blue orbs, which can be seen with a raise on a Notice roll, so you can avoid them if you are careful.
Lizard Bomblet
Anti-Personnel bomblet Range -; Damage 2d8+2; RoF -; Min Str -; Notes Small Burst Template. AP 4
Anti-Landcruiser bomblet Range -; Damage 4d8+1; RoF -; Min Str -; Notes Medium Burst Template. AP 8 against half weakest Armor value, round up.), HW
I'm a zombie me...

Last edited by caul on Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held those books in my hand at the bookstore a zillion times. Now I guess the next time will be a buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: