Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Oz, East or West?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Savage Oz, East or West?
Western flavor
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Eastern flavor
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Both
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 17

GreenTongue
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Savage Oz, East or West? Reply with quote

I found http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=214282 and it got me wondering.
Quote:
House of Flying Monkeys

Or

Crouching Cowardly Lion, Hidden Scarecrow

A setting for Exalted, Legend of the Five Rings, Feng Shui or Oriental Adventures, whatever you need.

========

So you have come to me to learn the truth, well, you have come to the right insect spirit, traveler. I am the learned philosopher Highly Magnified, the only one of my kind here in the City of Green Jewels. I can tell by your expression you expected something different.

Perhaps when your ship went down in your world, you expected to perish. It sailed an ocean named for peace, did it not? Or perhaps your balloon was blown off course or your "air plane" wrecked. All of these methods have taken travellers from your land to ours over the many years.

And when people discover they have reached the great Land of Oz, they develop a new kind of expectation. They search for midgets man-children and find merely small adults. They search for talking animals and discover instead spirit-creatures.

Perhaps calling the tales of Oz in your world "inaccurate" is not true. After all, the gillikin lands are to the north and they do favor purple. Winkie country, where the Wicked Witch of the East lived until her assassination by an outworlder girl, is to the east, and of course the same outworlder girl killed the Wicked Witch of the West by accident upon her arrival. (Do not attempt to correct me regarding directions, outlander. I am Highly Magnified, I know my facts.) The Empress is Ozma, long may she reign, and she rules with the wise aid of an outlander named Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Issac Norman Henkle Emmanuel Ambroise Diggs. And she rules in a city that in your world would be called Emerald, although to us it is of course Jeweled Jade.

But the true facts of the battle for the imperial acession, the civil war occasioned by the good and wicked witch-queens, the barbarians of the Nome King's land, and the assassins of Merryland have been kept from you, translated into Western fairytales suitable for properly bloodthirsty children. It is a testament to the greatness of this land that even where it is considered to be fictional that people know the song that describes its location: somewhere over the rainbow.

There is, however, a reason that it is said to be "many miles east of nowhere". And not west.

===========

"Clockwork Strike!" shouted Klak-Klik as her bronze fingers latched together and, palm outwards, she spun on whirring gears on her knees and waist to drop into a low, devastatingly powerful stance, knocking the brute backwards. His furry body smashed into the yellow bricks, he painfully roared his protests as the others slid their claws from their sheaths. The blades glistened red in the sunset.

I got back to back with my companion from Ev and drew my scimitars. The red sashes bobbed in the fragrant Munchkinland breeze. It was cool.

The Merryland ninja sneered. He pulled his mask back down. "Very well, quadling." he said, raising his razor-edged tonfa. "Let's see what you have."

"You won't bring your opium through my province if I have anything to say about it!" cried my outlander friend Amelia, levelling her fire-arm. For not the first time I was glad that although she'd "gone native" with her hair magically transformed to the emerald green of our Great City, she had not forgotten either the spirit that had served her so well or the remaining bullets for her outworld pistol.

"You'll have to kill us." said the ninja soberly. "I'd rather be in still-living pieces than have to report back to the Witch that all those poppies were for nothing."

That was all the time there was for talk.

==========

If you thought the Wizard of Oz was a good book but needed more ninja....

If you thought it was a good movie but would have been better if it starred Sammo Hung as the Wizard and Michelle Yeoh as Dorothy...

If you grew up reading L. Frank Baum and watching kung fu movies....

If you like settings that are falling out of copyright...

Then you need....

THE HOUSE OF FLYING MONKEYS

If Oz was to be savaged, would it have a Western flavor or an Eastern flavor?

Quote:
STRAW ZOMBIES
Midnight in a field of corn, and Dahr-Threi ran panicking through the long stalks, her boots of ruby giving her speed that few of her foes would be able to match. However these were not ordinary foes who pursued her. They were the Straw-Men, creations of an insane druid of aeons past as part of a great army of invasion. That army was long since disbanded, but the Straw Men remained.
Glancing back over her shoulder she saw the ripple of movement through the darkened field as they closed. Suddenly she felt her foot catch something - she knew she had not tripping on uneven ground, as she was far too light on her feet for that - but she tumbled nonetheless. Glancing down she saw a hand formed of straw holding her foot.
Clever, she thought, they were waiting in ambush.
The straw man unfolded itself to its full height, three times that of a man, dangling her in the air by the ankle it still grasped. Beneath the brim of its ragged cloth hat she saw its sackcloth face, blank save for a maw of bloody iron teeth.
"Braaaiiiiins..."

and of course the eternal question... would there be zombies?
=

Last edited by GreenTongue on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Froggy the Great
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Savage Worlds. of course there are Zombies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a note, the Winkies live in the West. It's the Munchkins who live in the East.
Patrick
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz (or an Oz like place) would be a really cool setting to drop modern characters.

I admit I've only seen the movie, but tell the players to make mundane characters, put them in a commuter plane that crashes in a weird storm, and just let them discover for themselves and be weirder out.

Personally I'd make the setting only "inspired" by Oz so the players wouldn’t make assumptions about what could happen.
Ashikaider
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombies in an eastern-style Oz game could come in two types-- zombies raised by Taoist 'zombie wranglers' in order to return those who died away from home, and the greater Jiang-Shi, who are the same zombies souped up into Ki vampires.

The Scarecrow look could come from hoods used to cover the heads of the greater and lesser Jiang-Shi.

this is a cool idea, I just wish I knew more about some of the surrounding lands like Ev, in order to flesh things out more.
Patrick
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! the joy of Wikipedia.

See also

and

Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a note, the above map is slightly erroneous. It's stated quite clearly in the books that Munchkins are in the east while Winkies are in the west. Just flip those two areas around and you're good.
Patrick
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, the land in the east is yellow and the Munchkins have the Yellow Brick Road. Do the Winkies have the Blue Brick Road?
Ashikaider
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Makes sense, the land in the east is yellow and the Munchkins have the Yellow Brick Road. Do the Winkies have the Blue Brick Road?

not really. the Yellow Brick Road ran from the Emerald City to all four countries in Oz. it was never explained why, but the logical reasons were to allow easy access to the capitol, as well as bring the people of Oz together.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a red brick road mentioned.

Anyone considering doing this should really pick up Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
drnuncheon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Just as a note, the above map is slightly erroneous. It's stated quite clearly in the books that Munchkins are in the east while Winkies are in the west.

Look closely at the compass rose...

J
Reginald de Curry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East and West traded places? What is this, Hollow World™?
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed that, as it's very hard to read.
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but now look at this...

This map is displayed on the same wikipedia page as the one in Patrick's post. The compass rose here is obviously normal, while the other one is indeed inverted.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I always thought the intelligence of the Wogglebug was suspect.
Ashikaider
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some looking around, and apparently the person doing those maps was given a slide of an earlier map, and accidentally transposed it, leading to the maps posted here.
d4
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
Anyone considering doing this should really pick up Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

and A Barnstormer in Oz by Phillip Jose Farmer.

an Ozzian setting is something i've dreamed of doing for quite a while...

[edit]
FWIW, all 14 Frank Baum Oz books are out of copyright and in the public domain, which means doing an Oz setting is possible without worrying about copyright infringement...

just don't use anything from any Oz books written by other authors, and don't use anything exclusive to the movie (like the Ruby Slippers).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: