Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something Special For You Solitaire Role-Playing Gamers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you use a Solitaire Role-Playing Game for?
I would not play solo.
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
To test an adventure.
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
To finally be able to play RPG's because I do not have a group.
34%
 34%  [ 14 ]
To be able to play RPG's between group meetings.
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 41

Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Something Special For You Solitaire Role-Playing Gamers Reply with quote

I am not a supplier nor the author. I am just a fan of Mythic and now Savage Worlds.

Have you heard of this RPG Tool:

http://www.mythic.wordpr.com/

Mythic RPG
Create dynamic role-playing adventures without preparation and adventurs are meant to be played off the cuff, with perhaps a few minutes of brainstorming for the initial setup. For use as a stand-alone game or as a supplement for other systems.

I have been using it for 4-7 months now to play RPG's solo. It was desigened to be played solitaire (one person without a GM) but it can be played with no GM and multiple players, or one GM with any number of players. It is a universal, improvisational, role-playing game.

Take my word for it, it works and is very very fun. I have been using it to play PIG's Two-Fisted Tales and now I am really enjoying it with GWG's Savage Worlds (with no conversions either). It is the best system to use if you want to make up either your own rules, your own campaign world, or your own adventures. You can use any genre also. You never know where your adventure will take you.

Spread the word so that the author (Tom Pigeon) will make a 2nd edition. Let him know there is a market in the world for Solitaire RPG and games.
Read MATTHEW 6:34 & JOHN 15:13 (Holy Bible)
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note...Double G Press is in the process of developing a few solo adventures for The Ravaged Earth Society... Wink
Talahar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythic looks interesting indeed... i'm considering a purchase if funds allow it... Very Happy
jblittlefield wrote:
As a side note...Double G Press is in the process of developing a few solo adventures for The Ravaged Earth Society... Wink

Hmm, awesome... i'm actually quite fond of solo adventures....and since TRES looks interesting i'm looking forward to these...
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Something Special For You Solitaire Role-Playing Gamers Reply with quote

Doc Halloween wrote:
I am not a supplier nor the author. I am just a fan of Mythic and now Savage Worlds.

Have you heard of this RPG Tool:

http://www.mythic.wordpr.com/

Mythic RPG
Create dynamic role-playing adventures without preparation and adventurs are meant to be played off the cuff, with perhaps a few minutes of brainstorming for the initial setup. For use as a stand-alone game or as a supplement for other systems.

I have been using it for 4-7 months now to play RPG's solo. It was desigened to be played solitaire (one person without a GM) but it can be played with no GM and multiple players, or one GM with any number of players. It is a universal, improvisational, role-playing game.

Take my word for it, it works and is very very fun. I have been using it to play PIG's Two-Fisted Tales and now I am really enjoying it with GWG's Savage Worlds (with no conversions either). It is the best system to use if you want to make up either your own rules, your own campaign world, or your own adventures. You can use any genre also. You never know where your adventure will take you.

Spread the word so that the author (Tom Pigeon) will make a 2nd edition. Let him know there is a market in the world for Solitaire RPG and games.

I've heard of this, looked at the demo in the past, but actually haven't broken down and purchased it. Can you go into a bit more detail on how, exactly, this works to make your own adventures?

My knee-jerk response is that it'd make some very generic type of stuff. However, if that's not the case, I might be interested in exploring it a bit.

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield,
Will these adventures be of the follow the number paragraph type? Thank you for the information Smile

razorwise,
Lets see if I can explain. The book has 13 chapters with 144 pages:
Intro p. 4 - 5
Ch. 1 = Mythic Adventures p. 6 - 11
Ch. 2 = Character Creation p. 12 - 23
Ch. 3 = The Fate Chart p. 24 - 35
Ch. 4 = Task Resolution p. 36 - 41
Ch. 5 = Combat p. 42 - 57
Ch. 6 = Randomness p. 58 - 65
Ch. 7 = The Adventure p. 66 - 77
Ch. 8 = Game Master Emulation p. 78 - 83
Ch. 9 = World Creation p. 84 - 87
Ch. 10 = Character Advancement p. 88 - 95
Ch. 11 = Converting to Mythic p. 96 - 99
Ch. 12 = Notes and Suggestions p. 100 - 103
Ch. 13 = Extended Play Example p. 104 - 118
Index, charts, character sheet, adventure worksheet, NPC worksheet, question sheets, scaling box sheets, sample characters p. 119 - 143

At first I tried to convert Mythic to other RPG's. I did not like that. I then tried to convert other RPG's to Mythic which I somewhat liked. I even made my own rules to expand Mythic and liked that even more. However, I come to like, very much, to use some of Mythic with other RPG's. I used some of chapter 3 along with all of chapters 6 & 7 to play solo. I will try to explain what that boils down to without giving away the product.

I decide what genre I want to play (I like late 1930's Pulp genre). Per the rules I brainstorm for a few minutes an adventure set up and make sure there is a goal. Then I list any characters (specific to very general that I know of from the adventure setup), any threads open (they are goals), and then adjust the chaos factor (a number used to make adventures unpredictable and random).

Next, a scene set up is like the adventure set up and make sure there is a goal to get you starting to the adventure goal. Then you check to see if this scene set up is modified (the scene set up is either left as is, interrupted by another scene set up, or altered somehow) by checking the chaos factor. If it is interrupted or altered then that is where chapter 6 comes into play.

Once that is established the scene is played out using Savage Worlds rules for things like combat, skills, and attributes while checking the fate chart to get specific details about the scene (the fate chart acts like a GM where you ask yes/no questions and roll on the chart to get the answers).

Once the action of the scene has run it's course then you update the character list, threads, and chaos factor and move on to the next exciting scene (skipping boring parts like the movies leave out). You keep going from scene to scene until you close all threads or the threads no longer matter which ends the adventure. I ususally randomly choose to play between 5 and 14 scenes with a climax scene but sometimes the adventure is longer or shorter.

Keep in mind that the adventure is not a choose-your-way. It all comes from your imagination coupled with asking all your own questions about the scene using the fate chart (which acts as a GM), seeing if random events happen, and using logic to make things fit together from your interpretations. You really have to try it to see it in action.

I once started a Shadowrun adventure where I thought I was human rocker and it turned out that I awoke as a meta-human orc not knowing whom I was in the past and spent the adventure trying to figure that out.

On a side note about the randomness. Using several charts from Mythic there is multiple variations to roll up and your interpretation of those giving countless events. However, I do supplement my imagination with 4 of Modern Dispatch's adventure generators, the random charts from Two Fisted Tales RPG, SBRPG (Situation-Based Role-playing) Solo Cinema rules, Archetype's Storytelling Cards, Tarot cards, and The Plot Genie (a very old and impossible to find 1930's book). Do not get me wrong, I played a long time without any of these using only Mythic and other RPG's. These items just enhance the unpredictability and my limited imagination.

I hope that helps Wink
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Halloween wrote:
jblittlefield,
Will these adventures be of the follow the number paragraph type? Thank you for the information Smile

Yes. Their primary purpose being to introduce new players to the TRES setting.
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intrigued by the recommendation, and the fact it was 20% off normal price, I picked it up. It does look like a fine senario generator but you need to establish several factors first as described above. The biggest drawback is the need to identify and roll for all the yes/no questions. First of all, as a solo gamer, you are limited to the questions you can think of. Guidelines are given but it is up to the player to come up with the questions. Good news is the number of blank forms you can use to record the questions and likely results so you can reference them in similar circumstances.

There is some fair to good art (about 4 full color pieces and several line drawings), and a good table (200+ entries) with random events stated in general terms. SW converts easily to the systems outcome generator (grand failure = 1, failure, success, grand success=raise) so much of the descriptions will work for any genre. I don't see much more the author could do other than offer a laundry list of questions, and the depth of questions, for situations often encountered.

If you are interested in solo play or have only a framework of a senario and want some help in developing it further this is not a bad purchase for a $7.95 download Smile For combat, skill and spell mechanics SW works just fine without it.
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
For me the questions charts are not a big deal. If you are going to make your own world and rules then they are really necessary. However, if you are using Mythic as a supplement to say, Savage Worlds, then forget about the Question charts (unless you want to make a rule or some such that SW does not cover). When I ask a question to the fate chart it is like I am asking the GM questions (however they must be stated in a yes/no format).

Examples:
Is the room empty?
Are there stairs at the end of the hall? (if you get a yes you could ask: Do the stairs go up?)
Is the weather nice? (if you rolled a no, is it raining? OR if An exceptional no then maybe it is a sever storm)
Is this a nice neighborhood? (if you rolled an exceptional no then it could be a ruined section of town)
Is there anyone in the room?

Each question is rolled on the fate chart with some guidelines and your logical perception of how likely (Low, Average, High, etc...) the question is. Example: If I have been passing through empty rooms then the likely hood of the next room being occupied might be low. So I roll the die and cross reference Low and the Chaos factor to get an answer of yes, no, exceptionally yes, or exceptionally no.

Everything else is handled by the other RPG I am useing (such as Savage Worlds).
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points but asking the questions to the fate chart are what can get me. For example in your setting (exploring an ancient undergound room complex) as a solo player (or trying to get ideas for a layout of an adventure) you ask your question concerning the room. If it is empty you ask if there is another obvious exit. If no, is there a hidden/secret exit. If yes then you use SW stats to Notice it. Then you ask is it locked? Is it trapped? Then when it is open you must ask are there stairs down? Is there a ladder down? etc. This is an interesting method of creating something you are not sure of but I'm not sure it is the quickest method Wink

Still, solo actions do not need to be FFF as you have whatever time you are going to take to spend. I'm just afraid I would fall into a rut of routine questions during the exploration and lose interest fast.

In the end you are creating the adventure via process of elimination (or affirmation) of each question. The randomness forces you to think when the obvious doesn't happen. This is a process that isn't for everyone but could help to get the idea train on track Wink
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Oh yah! You hit it. I ask a lot of detail questions and it takes a while, for me, to get through a scene. However, as you pointed out I have all the time in the world and I can be as detailed or as vague.

I am very shy and group play is not for me. I have waited 20+ years (I am now 37 in a few days) to play role playing games that were not choose-your-way or computerized. I needed something to let all those stories and ideas loose and Mythic provided me with an outlet. It is a blessing for me Very Happy
Dahak
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up Mythic today, and while it dosn't suit my needs (I admit I'm probably looking for something more programmed), It's still an interesting concept.

jblittlefield wrote:

Few implies more than one.... good, very good. Very Happy
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: New News Reply with quote

A little bird (Pigeon) told me something I had no idea about. Mythic is getting a revision or a new edition soon (maybe a month or two). This edition will only concentrate on the GM-emulation portion, not the universal rpg part (so if you want the universal rules you better bust open that piggy bank). The emulation rules will be updated. No major changes, but the rules for generating random events wll have new, easier to use, tables and there will be minor tweaks to make it all run smoother and faster.
lamrok
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds kind of interesting to me - a fun way to spend an evening with the family. I think the kids would get a real kick out of picking their questions. I'll probably check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back to my very first post here on Pinnacle's Forums Smile

I have a few questions I need your help on.

Question 1- Converting SW to Mythic Ranks for Attributes and skills:
Mythic Ranks are
Miniscule
Weak
Low
Below Average
Average
Above Average
High
Exceptional
Incredible
Awesome
Superhuman
Superhuman 1
Superhuman 2 and so on

My question is where would you place SW's dice with these ranks. I know that SW's average human is D6 so Mythics Average human would use the Average Rank. Where would D4, D8, D10, D12, D12+1 & so on go?
Here is something you might need to look at to help:

Real World (just like our world) Max rank is Exceptional
Gritty, real world (detective, cyberpunk) Max rank is Incredible
Action/Adventure (shoot 'em ups, pulp era) Max rank is Superhuman
High fantasy/Science Fiction Max rank is Superhuman 5
Super hero, low powered Max rank is Superhuman 5
Super hero, medium powered Max rank is Superhuman 7
Super hero, high powered Max rank is Superhuman 10

Question 2- SW uses modifiers like +/-1, +/-2 and so on. So does Mythic. But how does SW's compaire to Mythic? I am thinking they are about the same for both. To help answer this here is something for you to look at from Mythic:

Rank Shift Modifier Guidlines
+/-1 Small, but significan modifier. Anything truly small, such as a purely cosmetic circumstance, should be ignored as a modifier. Examples: Running uphill; searching for something specific in a disheveled room.
+/-2 Serious modifier. This is where your character is in serious hurt, or has a serious advantage. Examples: Fighting with a combatant on your back; taking time to aim at a target using a scope.
+/-3 Very serious modifier. This is usually the maximum, and should be reserved for the most extreme situations. Example: Fighting blind.
+/-4 Modifiers this high are usually reserved for superheroes and the supernatural. Example: Surviving having your head blown off; lifing a tank while being blasted by a bazooka.
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. Wiggy pointed something out in another thread that I had not thought of and should have.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Halloween wrote:
Never mind. Wiggy pointed something out in another thread that I had not thought of and should have.

Check out my reply to that thread -- if you really want to do this, all that's required is a bit of effort on your part and a favorable response from PEG and Mythic's author. Wink
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know I did not ignor jblittlefield. I answered him in another thread.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have my choice: all of the above.
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt,
Seems I did leave some choices out. I did discover, so far, that there are people in the same boat as me #1eek3

Thanks to JackAce, whom got my fingers and brain moving, I have been busy setting up a fan page for Mythic RPG and Savage Worlds. Now I need to come up with some content. Any ideas? Off the top of my head is to tell people how I use both RPG systems to role play.

Also, thanks to JackAce, whom got me thinking of other Mythic fans, I now am the proud owner of a Mythic community fan club. I have 2 links up for Savage Worlds on the yahoogroup since I use it and Mythic to compliment each other.

You can find all this by going to my website, going to the home page and clicking on the "Roleplaying with Mythicly Savaged" on the side bar. http://members.tripod.com/dochalloween/index.html I am not saying you have to but if you want to there it is.

Now, what to do with all of this #1confused

P.S. I sort of reworded your forum rules, Clint, to use on the yahoo group. They were perfectly stated #1cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: