Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCs coming together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you get your group together?
Character Backgrounds
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Story Outline
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

Dolomite23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: PCs coming together Reply with quote

I am just wondering how GMs accomplish the daunting task of bringing the group together.

Story Outline - Character A, B, C go to the same bar to meet a contact

Character Backgrounds - Character A has worked with character B, who has dealt with Character C
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both, depending on both the people involved and the characters they make as well as my personal ideas for the campaign. I let my players link their backgrounds however they want, as long as it doesn't ruin any plans I have, and if they come up with something more interesting than i had going, I'll definitely take advantage of it.
Devcon001
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a mixture of both. Typically when I start a campaign it's A (Background) - the PCs know each other and the campaign starts. I have some exceptions (for example, when I started my Necessary Evil Campaign, I used the 1st Plot Point Scenario which by itself brings the party together) but that's usually how I proceed.

As the campaign moves on new characters (either from new players grafting themselves to the group or as replacements for the deceased) it's B) (Story Outline). We find a logical reason to bring them in, and often roleplay it (Hell, in a recent case, it was the entire *point* of the entire play session). Sometimes we simply state "Character A here knows Character B who's already in the group, and comes at his/her behest" (Thus making it a background origin) but that's again the exception.
SavagedRobby
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Backgrounds, only because I use that more than Story Outline. But often I'll give characters a Story Outline and tell them to write their Backgrounds around it. Smile
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all our last FtF games, we've used the "you all know each other/have adventured together before". we have a tendency to make diverse characters, and this helps those with incompatible quirks get along.

"yes the paladin and necromancer aren't pals, but they both have the same goals in mind"
Captain Kronos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long term campaign, I tend to use story outlines and have the PCs come together in the first or second session. Luckily, I haven't had character bounce too much yet (in a recent game one of my friends ran it took one of his players 6 weeks to meet the other PCs!).

For short games, the PCs all start knowing each other. Easier that way.

Dave
eggplant
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it usually depends on if it is a spur of the moment game or a planned campaign. If I have time to plan it I prefer to have character backgrounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threaten them with death....or maybe if i'm in a nice mood, to only kill their characters. #1dead
ragnarok
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both ways. Normally I perfer Character Backgrounds, but if it's something less lame than "A, B, C meet at the same bar and decide to adventure together"* I'm fine with Story Outlines (I'm actually in love with GWGs, "Suddenly you are together on the same sinking boat, what do you do?" as presented in NE and 50F(and perhaps other settings)).

*With the exception of Evernight, where this actually could make sense
jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use a little of both depending on the game.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both.

In my latest TRES playtest I started the session with just one player (in a precarious situation) and added the others -- one at a time -- and just let things play out naturally. Only later did they find out that they all had links with at least a couple of other heroes in the group.
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both or sometimes none of the above. it all depends on the setting and the way I set up the first game.
gobbo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be able to actually vote on this as I use a lot of diffrent ways. It really depends on the game and campaign. If it is a modern "Special OPs" kind of game, I just let them all know they are assigned to the unit, I have done the "your all in a bar/tavern/nightclub" thing, but not recently. I have even had them all wake up in a prison cell with amnisia! [Yes, I am evil #1icon_evil ]

http://gobbosforge.blogspot.com/

www.rockymountainsavages.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: