Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Rules Questions for Deadlands: Reloaded
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc Hameleers wrote:
With the new rank costs for Blessed, how do variable cost spells work?

For example, can i build a 100 point barrier? always do 3 3d6 bolts? Spell rank stays the same after all

Well first, blessed don't have access to bolt... and now you know why. Wink

Anyway, cost is irrelevant. Could the blessed make a 100 point barrier? Theoretically, but there are a couple of limitations other than the -4 penalty to the roll.

1. The barrier (no matter what size it is) will only last 3 rounds (6 with raise).

2. If a barrier that size is unneeded, the character will most likely face an additional penalty from the Marshal, and a result from the Sinnin' Table as well (Pride is one of the Seven Deadly ones Twisted Evil ).

But when it's needed (and the blessed makes the roll), the power of <insert diety here> is awesome to behold. #1angel3

[Edit: Fixed incorrect terminology.]

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, guys, I know I'm "skipping" some questions, but we're on hold for a little bit awaiting absolute "official" approval.

These I can answer though, so I didn't want to hold them up any longer.

ogbendog wrote:
Does VotWW "cost" a background edge, or is it "free" (with a random disadvantage, or course)

It's gotta be taken like any other Edge. The random effect is an "additional cost."

dap6000 wrote:
When fannin' the hammer with a fully loaded single action revolver, would you roll 6 (!) shooting dice and a wild die at -4 with up to 6 different targets?

Yep, that's exactly how it works.

dap6000 wrote:
Can a player choose before hand how many times to fan (3 shots, 4 shots, etc) or if you fan do you have to empty the gun?

He can choose how many shots to make, but the penalty is always the same.

dap6000 wrote:
Even with the -4 modifier, this seems pretty (over?) powerful.

Well, on any skill die roll of a 1 or 2, the character hits an Innocent Bystander. Even with a d12 (or better) Shooting, that's a 1 in 6 chance. If he makes 6 shots, well, just do the math. Twisted Evil

Plus, things to keep in mind...

Fanning requires two hands, so the character can't have anything in his other hand when doing it. (no offhand weapon or attacks).
Marksman doesn't apply.
Using a Benny to reroll, means rerolling all of the dice.

It's really not that bad.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
so assumeing no other modifiers, you hit on a 8 or higher (target's you aimed at) or a 1 or a 2, (other semi random targets)

Well, as long as the GM determines it is "dramatically appropriate," yes. But don't expect the misses on a 1 or 2 to be converted into "free attacks" on other adjacent bad guys. That's not "dramatically appropriate." On the other hand, if the bad guys are holding the schoolmarm and her class captive, I'd say that's when it might come up. That's why it's called the "Innocent Bystander" rule. Wink

ogbendog wrote:
if you use a bennie to reroll, you reroll all the dice, not just the ones you want to?

Yes. Page 56 of SWR under Bennies.

Lemming wrote:
Can you fan in a duel? If so how is the damage handled?

Nope. As it says under Swapping Lead...

"Any duelists who chose to draw and fire at once now get to fire a single shot (you don’t get to fan the hammer just yet, amigo)."

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Holliday wrote:
What is the grit level for the various characters in the book? For example, if a character has a duel with Doc Holliday or Seth Bullock, what Grit bonus do I apply to those characters?

That's in the errata. There is a link to the PDF here...

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10313

Or you can scroll down the to Marshall's Section and the listing for page 229.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Holliday wrote:
Thanks Clint I missed that. Rolling Eyes That would put Holliday at 9 or 10 points of Grit, wow. Do I count Improved Edges as two to reflect that two edges were taken to get to that improved position?

Maximum base Grit is still limited to 5 (which Doc would have). And yes, if only the Improved version is listed, it would count as two Edges.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuZu wrote:
Is it intentional for Voodoo to effectively require 2 Edges? This with the d8 Spirit requirement makes it pretty expensive. Yes, Martial Artists seem to need 2 Edges too but the Edges do different things. The Voodoo Edge doesn't seem to "add" anything, just change the way the Blessed powers work and overall seem close enough as zero-sum that I'm not really sure it should be extra.

First off, have you checked the errata for the Voodoo Edge? The Errata and a link to the PDF are at the top of this topic.

If you have seen it, you know that Voodooists get 6 additional powers. That's not simply access to the powers because of the way Blessed work, thats the ability to call on those powers. For any other AB, that's the equivalent of 6 separate Edges.

Also, they are "immune" to the Sinnin' Table. That's pretty huge. Minor Sins are -2 to Faith rolls for a week. Major Sins are a loss of all powers for a week. And one Mortal Sin is the loss of all powers permanently (without some major quest and redemption).

I'd say that's a heck of a deal for just spending a few hours performing rituals at the end of the day.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuZu wrote:
Last comment - shouldn't the webmaster also put a link for the Errata and other DL:R stuff on the Download section of the website? If it's there it's hidden and buried as I have to keep pointing my friends to the forum for the errata rather then DL or SW downloads.

Unfortunately, the "webmaster" (Simon) has been having some internet access problems. I believe he had to pull off some kind of work-around to do the update last week, and he may have to do the same this week. I know he is knocking himself out trying to get it all back in sorts.

Till then, don't forget there is a link to the errata on the front page of the website from when it was first released. Just have to scroll down to them "Danged Gremlins." Very Happy

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
Which Skill is used to control a horse-carriage?

Would that be Driving (for it being a vehicle) or Riding (for dealing with a horse)?

Driving for it being a vehicle and not being "on" the creature.

Although, the Marshal could allow a Riding roll to substitute for certain actions (like bringing the horse to a stop) if a character were to jump onto the back of one of them.

Now you know why they did that in the movies all the time; the character had a higher Riding than Driving skill. Wink

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHivan wrote:
What happends when a gizmo runs out of Power points? Does it become useless junk or can it be recharged?

Depends on the meaning of "gizmo."

A standard Weird Science device recharges at the normal rate (page 78 of SWR for specifics of Weird Science recharging).

A "gizmo" via the Gadgeteer Edge is useless after it runs out of Power Points.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ghost Rock Reply with quote

Magog777 wrote:
On the subject of Weird Science, the DL:R rules mentions the use of Ghost rock in making devices via powers and potions via Alchemy, but it does not give any specific amounts. I made an arbitrary rule for my players that they use 1 pound of Ghost Rock for every power they have per month. Is there an "official" rule I can use instead?

Not exactly. Not all powers would use ghost rock as a consumable. The possible ways the power could work is really open to the imagination of the player.

One version of bolt could be a gun using powdered ghost rock as propellant while another could use a "ghost steel capacitor" to store and fire static charges.

In essence, it gets into the trappings of the power as per the core rulebook. The GM could require a certain amount of ghost rock as above to cover the trappings, or run it based off the desciption of the individual power.

For instance, two characters have burst. One has a static discharge device with a "ghost steel capacitor" as above. The capacitor recharges off of ambient static electricity. Mechanically, the GM rules it works pretty much as written, but the electrical trappings would allow for special use (maybe a Medium Burst Template effect if fired into water, etc.).

The other has a flamethrower, but he says his flamethrower uses gas that builds up from ghost rock, and it uses a 1 lbs. chunk to recharge all PPs (adding more PPs later just makes it more efficient). The GM rules this as a significant limitation on the power (enough to adjust its effect). He says using pure ghost rock means the flames burn hotter. The burst will do 2d12 damage and increases the chance of targets catching fire by 1. However he also points out that same chance of catching on fire will apply in the case of a malfunction.

Anyway, there is no specific rule on how much ghost rock would be needed for Mad Science powers. The official take would be to handle it under individual trappings, but a setting rule on trappings could be used instead.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Blessed Raise Reply with quote

MasterMind wrote:
a blessed with a raise double the time vor Powers and or get the bonus.

Waht is right?
Geth he the bonus by a rase first? Or get he the duration? Or all? Or need the blessed to raise?

He gets both with a single raise.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJack wrote:
Is there any difference between the way the huckster version of Born on All Hallow's Eve and Dealer's Choice works?

I'll have to get back on this one.

RJack wrote:
I can't seem to find the Brave edge listed on the Ranger (p 234) and Doc Holliday (p 238) in either the Deadlands Reloaded book or the Savage Worlds core book. Is this an edge from another Savage Worlds setting?

Nope. Replace Brave with True Grit.

RJack wrote:
I'm guessing Skin Shifter listed in the Coyote Confederation Encounter Table (p 161) should be Skinwalker. Skin Shifters do not appear in the reloaded rules.

Yep, it should be Skinwalker.

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
What's the price for shotgun slugs? DL:R only lists shotgun shells and the SW rule book has no prices for any kind of shotgun ammo...

Shotgun shells cost the same whether they have shot or slugs in them. In the basic book, cost and weight is based off "Bullets, large."

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilderness Man edge vs Woodsman edge Reply with quote

wmarshal wrote:
Does the Wilderness Man edge replace the Woodsman edge? If not, do their bonuses stack? Seems like getting a +4 to Survival and Tracking could be mighy powerful, and it wouldn't be that hard for a character to take both. Thanks!

Core rulebook: bonuses from Professional Edges don't stack.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJack wrote:
So does Doc Holliday actually gain any benefit from the True Grit edge? It seems like he would already have maximum grit because he has so many edges. Or is this just an example of non-optimal character advancement?

He would have 6 Grit instead of 5. The rules for NPC Grit are still limited by the normal maximum. That means the most they could have is 5 Grit unless they had the True Grit Edge.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Weapons Reload Time Reply with quote

algorond wrote:
The question I have is about reload time in new Deadlands.
As far as I understand, Speed Loader Edge allows you to load your six-shot gun in 1 action, and if you have extra cylinder ready, you can practicaly reload for free.
But what about rifles?

It seems unlikely that even super fast hero can load all 15 shots into his 76' Winchester in 6 seconds, or can he? Smile

Yeah, he can. Is it "realistic?" Probably not, but the game isn't about reloading a weapon any more than is dramatically appropriate.

That said, a simple rule to institute would be to limit the number of shells reloaded in one action to the character's Agility die type. So a character with a d6 average could fully reload a 6-shot revolver in one action, but he'd still only get 6 shots in the Winchester in the same time.

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nytflyr wrote:
How does a double barrel shotgun work?

it has a RoF of 2, by autofire rules anything 2 or more receives a -2 to hit, so Im assuming the +2 shooting is to offset this. but what is the effect of just emptying both barrels into one target?

See page 38 (revised) of the SWRB.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for being patient. Hopefully, this will answer many questions.

Nilus wrote:
Can harrowed characters be healed using the healing skill within the golden hour like living breathing characters can?

Can magical healing be used on harrowed?

Do the bonuses and penalities to natural healing(from advanced medical technology and/or poor conditions) effect a harrowed healing?

Harrowed still have physical bodies, so both mundane and magical healing can work on them. The normal bonuses and penalties apply.

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
And on a related note, does a Harrowed character profit from the Healer Edge for his natural healing rolls?

Yep.

MadTinkerer wrote:
How do Blessed go about making Holy Ammunition such as Holy Water and blessing weapons so that those weapons can become the Weakness of a particular critter?

The quick and dirty version is the Smite power. A Blessed who uses that makes the item a “blessed weapon” for the duration. If the GM allows, a Blessed may use the Sanctify power to bless a specific item instead of an area.

Water created by Elemental Manipulation is considered Holy Water. Also, if the Blessed uses the purify option for Elemental Manipulation on water that is already pure, it becomes Holy Water (thus two successful castings on a gallon of any water would make a gallon of Holy Water).

Wrathamon wrote:
How does Holy Warrior work with the Blessed arcane background, since holy rollers don't worry about Power Points?

It’s a Novice Rank Edge, so it would work like a Novice Rank power.

Also, for Deadlands: Reloaded, Holy Warrior works against characters with AB (Black Magic); there are no “evil” characters with AB (Miracles) as listed in the core rulebook.

Anubis1179 wrote:
One of my players is being a drunken master and he asked a question I could not find the answer. His question was can he use Brass Knuckles and still get the +1 Parry for being a Drunken Master.

Unless they say otherwise, the effect of the Martial Arts Edges work whether the character is armed or unarmed. So, a Drunken Master could fight with a sword and still get his bonus, and opponents don’t get a Gang-Up bonus against a character with the Martial Arts Edge, regardless of whether he is armed or unarmed. Note that the Superior Martial Arts effects that adjust Fighting damage do specifically affect unarmed damage.

Marc Hameleers wrote:
Eagle Claw style: IS it AP1 ( as in the MA section ) or AP 2 ( as under the Martial Artist in the human section of the critters part )

AP 2 seems more balanced, i think, but what is the official word?

It’s AP:2.

Nilus wrote:
A Manitou's spirit is always one die type higher then a harrowed. If a hero harrowed raises his Spirit die when he levels does the Manitou also get his spirit upgraded.

I assume yes, the word always kinda implies that its always one die higher, but I had a debate with a player last night about it and wanted to get an official answer.

Yep, the manitou is always a die type higher until the character reaches a d12 (there is no “die type” higher than this). In effect, it is spending its XPs to raise its own Spirit at the same time. Note if the character takes Supernatural Attribute for Spirit, the manitou gets the full effect from it as well, but if the character is able to take the Expert, Professional, and/or Master Edges for Spirit, these would not help the manitou as it is not a die type increase. So at a d12 Spirit, the harrowed has pretty much reached a stalemate with his manitou, but once he reaches Legendary, he has the chance to pull ahead… if the manitou hasn’t already taken control by then.

On a related note, the two Spirits are considered separate for the purposes of temporary effects as well, so a Boost Trait to increase the harrowed’s Spirit would not also affect the manitou.

Dahak wrote:
Possible Character Spoiler wrote:

Wild Bill Hickok has a harrowed edge called Supernatural Trait (Shootin'). The description of the harrowed edge Supernatural Attribute (and yes, I see that's not Trait) says that it does not apply toward skills. Stone seems to have it listed as Supernatural Trait too (though he only has it applied to attributes).

Is it just an NPC-only thing, or should the focus of Supernatural Attribute/Trait be expanded?

Drop it from that character and give him the Expert and Professional Edges with that Trait to give him the same d12+2 rating.

Magog777 wrote:
The rules in DL:R for Whips seems a bit vague to me. Under weapon damage on the table (pg54) it says "Special". When you read the weapon notes (pg45) it says:

"If the wielder scores a raise on his attack roll, the attack does not inflict an additional d6 damage. Instead, the victim suffers a -2 to his Parry until his next action"

What damage does it do without a raise?

Whips do Str+d4 damage.

Also, whips can be used for non-lethal damage if the wielder chooses at no penalty.

dap6000 wrote:
Full Defense and weapon bonuses: Do regular mods to a fighting roll apply to full defense? Would the total be impacted by Trade Mark Weapon or a dagger of ogre slaying +2? What about weapons that grant Parry bonuses? Would the Parry bonus apply to the Full Defense roll?

You make a normal Fighting roll, so any appropriate modifiers to the roll apply (such as Trademark weapon).

Parry bonuses (and penalties) do add to the final result as that is the character's Parry (even if only temporarily).

fanchergw wrote:
Page 76 (of the Player's Guide) states "The 1769 edition of Hoyle’s Book of Games contains these secrets in their purest form.". However, nowhere can I find what it costs for a Huckster to have this or any other edition of Hoyles. Shouldn't this be in the Gear charts, or am I missing something?

It doesn't really matter in Reloaded. Simply by virtue of being a Huckster and having the AB, the character has already gotten a copy and decoded it. Unlike the Classic system, it doesn't matter mechanically beyond that point.

Though, there may be some special version of Hoyle’s, a relic of some kind, that provides some special ability in some future release.

fanchergw wrote:
It occurs to me that there are several items like this - most of which appear in the No Man's Land section - for which we should probably know the weights, at least, such as the Ranger's Bible that is given to all Texas Rangers.

It depends on the GM’s call. Books can weigh different amounts depending on their edition, construction, etc.

As a quick guideline though, most typical books (such as the Ranger Bible or Hoyle's) would weigh 1 lbs. A large tome of some sort could weigh 2 or more lbs., depending on its contents and construction. A dime novel of the period or similar publication would weigh 1/2 lbs.

fanchergw wrote:
What about Medicine Bags? Do Shamen still carry them? Do they have any effect on the game? Do they have a cost or weight associated?

Shamans do not specifically require medicine bags in Reloaded to use their powers unless they want to include them in their trappings. Also, a shaman with the Edge, Fetish Creator, might imbue a power in a "medicine bag," but that's a matter of choice.

Voodooists would actually require something more like that for their casting, but then the weight would be negligible, and the cost pretty much non-existent as it would consist of the kind of small things most people consider "useless."

C.A.Pryde wrote:
That brings up a question I had about scatterguns. I do not understand quite how they operate. Does the small burst template proceed in a straight line directly from the barrel through the 6/12/24 range, like cluster ammunition fired from a cannon?

Sorry, ignore the reference to the SBT under the scattergun’s entry.

Devcon001 wrote:
The Edge "Dealer's Choice" allows a huckster to pay a fate chip to re-draw a card. However, the wording says "Anytime he's dealt a card", which prompted a discussion at my table. Can a huckster with the edge redraw a card for just playing poker (Not dealing with the Devil?) Can he use it to re-draw a card during Initiative? Could he use a fate chip to re-draw a card when looking to see he if comes back Harrowed?

Dealer's Choice says anytime you are dealt a card for any reason.

The "you" there applies to the player not the character, so it can be used for any in-game effect, dealin' with the devil and initiative, where the cards are dealt "to the player." It wouldn't affect where the GM draws a card to see what happens to that player (i.e. harrowed, etc...).

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devcon001 wrote:
I'm at work right now so I can't verify, but if a Huckster Dealin' with the Devil gets both jokers and uses them in his final hand, do you roll for Backfire twice?

Nope, just once. Though optionally, a GM could roll twice and take the worse result.

EricAlexander wrote:
Here's a question that came up during a game last night: If a huckster with the Whately Blood edge wounds herself to get some power points, is she shaken as a result of the wound?

Yep. A character that takes a wound is always Shaken (unless specified otherwise), but it wouldn't affect the casting of the spell.

DaoLong wrote:
If a harrowed has the eldery hinderance, can they raise their strength or vigor via the harrowed edge that raises an attribute 2 levels?

Yes. Supernatural effects still work.

Bill wrote:
Does Wing Chung stack with Two-Fisted? Will having both allow 3 attacks a round (4 if you have Frenzy too)?

There is an errata for Wing Chun. It now allows one additional Fighting attack if the character is attacking unarmed.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: what is the default width of a barrier for a blessed? Reply with quote

nytflyr wrote:
and what are the penalties for it being bigger?

See here...

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128371&highlight=barrier#128371

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: