Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you know what they are talking about?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you know what "Justifiers" is?
Yeah! It's that thing...
25%
 25%  [ 18 ]
Nope! No idea!
74%
 74%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 70

JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Do you know what they are talking about? Reply with quote

grubman wrote:
"Justifiers" is more likely to attract new players and old fans to SW as well as SW fans, where as, grubman's "Furry Explorers" would probably only be of interest to SW fans.

jblittlefield wrote:
Yeah, but I bet ya 7 outta 10 of today's gamers have no idea what "Justifiers" is -- and those that do know that it really wasn't all that great (IMNSHO, od course Wink ).

OK, lets put this to the test, shall we?

Whats That Do you know what "Justifiers" is?

Whats That And if you do know what it is, how did you like it?

Personally, I have no idea whatsoever what they're talking about...
Shane_Mclean
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was an old SF RPG where you played mutants of some sort. I never played it, but heard about it.

Shane

Savage Worlds UK Demo Coordinator
Dave Blewer
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it's a superhero game (or comic)... That's it.

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting available NOW!
loungingbear
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From darkshire.net :

Justifiers
1st ed by Gideon, Blaine Pardoe (1988) StarChilde
A sci-fi RPG in a dark future where "Transmatts" (i.e. stargates) allow limited teleportation to a host of Earth-like worlds. Megacorporations hire mercenary teams ("Justifiers") to "pacify" new worlds for colonization and exploitation. Justifiers are uplifted animals with limited rights, trying to eventually buy their freedom. It uses a simple percentile skill-based system, including a choice of 28 humanoid animal races (from albatrosses to rhinos!). Reviewed in White Wolf #27.

I never played it but I had heard of it.
Dave Blewer
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loungingbear wrote:
From darkshire.net :

Justifiers
1st ed by Gideon, Blaine Pardoe (1988) StarChilde
A sci-fi RPG in a dark future where "Transmatts" (i.e. stargates) allow limited teleportation to a host of Earth-like worlds. Megacorporations hire mercenary teams ("Justifiers") to "pacify" new worlds for colonization and exploitation. Justifiers are uplifted animals with limited rights, trying to eventually buy their freedom. It uses a simple percentile skill-based system, including a choice of 28 humanoid animal races (from albatrosses to rhinos!). Reviewed in White Wolf #27.

I never played it but I had heard of it.

So there you go... I was wrong.

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting available NOW!
Iron Guardian
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I think it went into a second edition some time later. I do remember seeing it at the flgs some time ago (don't know what edition it was), never purchased it. There might even be copies still floating around at Crazy Egors in Hilton, NY (about a 40 minute trip from where I live) as he carries lots of OOP stuff and usually attends Origins and GenCon. Cool
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Do you know what they are talking about? Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
grubman wrote:
"Justifiers" is more likely to attract new players and old fans to SW as well as SW fans, where as, grubman's "Furry Explorers" would probably only be of interest to SW fans.

jblittlefield wrote:
Yeah, but I bet ya 7 outta 10 of today's gamers have no idea what "Justifiers" is -- and those that do know that it really wasn't all that great (IMNSHO, od course Wink ).

OK, lets put this to the test, shall we?

Oh sure, Make grubman look like a butthead, the thread! Embarassed Wink

Justifiers is one of those games that has a sort of "cult" following, like many older games. Sure it's not billions of p[eople, but those who do know it and love it are more than happy to spread the word and talk about it.

To justify (hey, thats punny!) what I said, I think a SW version would attract those fans of the old game to the SW system (obviously they would want to check it out). Those who are interested in furries would check it out. Those already interested in the SW system would check it out. People who like to stay on top of "what's new" would check it out. Those who hear someone else talking about it would check it out.

I'm not saying it would be a shure-fire runaway success, I'm just saying there is already an established fan base, as opposed to a totally new game world. Not to mention some games are just perfect for savaging, Justifiers is one of those games IMHO.
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be good for a fan conversion, but I'd never even consider buying an anthropomorphic animal game. So it wouldn't get my money.

CK

PS But I would buy an Alice in Wonderland game, which would mostly likely have anthropomorphic animals in it. So I guess it isn't the presence of such animals that sours me on the idea as much as the fact that everyone would be playing them.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase
Ashikaider
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpk: it's not so much a 'furry' game as the characters are a blend of humans and and animals. in fact, the art I saw in the book featured people with animal heads.

I played in a Justifiers game back in 2000, but dropped out due to the fact I couldn't hear the GM a good deal of the time.
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashikaider wrote:
cpk: it's not so much a 'furry' game as the characters are a blend of humans and and animals. in fact, the art I saw in the book featured people with animal heads.

That is pretty much the literal definition of an anthropomorphic animal.

CK

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase

Last edited by cpk666 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you know what they are talking about? Reply with quote

grubman wrote:
Oh sure, Make grubman look like a butthead, the thread! Embarassed Wink

That was not really my intend.
I just noticed how exited you were about this whole idea, while I had no idea what the heck you were talking about. Eh

Now that I know a little more about what "Justifiers" is, I absolutely agree with you: This would make a great Savage Setting! #1xyxthumbs

The Poll is concerned primarily with the setting's original name, which -- as JB predicted -- does not seem to be that widely known. However, it appears as if the mere existence of this thread may have helped to remedy that situation... Wink
Talahar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a savage justifiers would be fun, but i dont see the necessity of the brand name....
scifi furry setting done right would be very fun to play....

reminds me of the horizon line from FFG...
it contained small fun settings which you knew from movies and tv series but completely without brandnames of any kind....
mad max, tron, transformers....

(the other two were a fantasy western setting, and a scary fairy tales kinda thing)

unfortunately horizon was d20 and thus quite rules heavy... and then the books were only 64 pages which left not a lot space for the actual setting...

with the mad max, tron and transformers setting it was no problem since you knew at least something about the setting,
but for the scary fairy tales and the fantasy western it was not enough...
Vonether
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about the Justifers game back in the 80s. Mostly from ads I think. Never got around to seeing in print or feeling it was driving enough to buy it.

I never saw it as furry, because it came out long before anime and the whole "furry" fad got started. It was sort of like TMNT before it got popular. A sort of soft SF game of mutants during the Cold War period during an age (from 13 to 1Cool when we hoped there might be some small chance something would be "cool" from a nuclear age.
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both copies somewhere. As the system went... well it went, along with the turtles. As for a world setting and having a Savage time of it? Yes. This is one setting that would suit SW more than others.

As for Buying the rights - if it was going a the right price - yes. If its being held onto by someone that need money but is too in love with his/her world that they created - No.

As anyone approched the chap yet about a selling price?

If you think about how Sci-Fi RPGs were in the late 80's and the really cool stuff that been released now in Real Life then add in the fact all the cool Sci-Fi that has been done since then (books movies manga etc) Justifers could be done sooo nicely now.

It make me smile to think about the little white and blue book that was once Justifiers.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:
As anyone approched the chap yet about a selling price?

If I'm not mistaken, it's on a license basis only. The author wants to keep all rights. (but I'm not 100% sure on that, I just seem to recall it being said when Justin got the license).
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the name brand conversions should be done by us (the general public; the GM's and players of SW). I think the officials of SW should concentrate on new settings. I do not want to have to go back and buy tons of campaign and world books. I would rather (and I did) buy SW originial stuff like NE and Rippers. I am thinking of buying Deadlands but the price is a bit high right now since I just bought the other 2 SW products (By the way does Deadlands: Reloaded have a pdf or is it just a printed book?).
Read MATTHEW 6:34 & JOHN 15:13 (Holy Bible)
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greets.

This is from the news on the front page of the website dated 6/05/06.

Doc Halloween wrote:
(By the way does Deadlands: Reloaded have a pdf or is it just a printed book?).

Also coming on Friday is the Deadlands: Reloaded pdf and Players' Guide pdf. Just like our other players guides, the Deadlands PG will have a "site license" that lets you print a copy for each of your players.

Later,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
Doc Halloween
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will teach me to visit the front page for news. Thanks razorwise Very Happy
Read MATTHEW 6:34 & JOHN 15:13 (Holy Bible)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: