Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Figures Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of using Mage Knight figures for SW games?
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
Dunno, but Heroclix work for Necessary Evil
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
Bases are too big to use for SW
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 208

Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
he who... wrote:
Don't hold me to it but I swear someone told me you can pop the in the fridge to cool down and the glue then tends to get brittle making them come off easily. No experience on that so you might like to get a second opinion or do a test run...

Um, yeah, that would be in my first post in this thread. Wink

You don't think I have time to read all these trheads, do you?

Freezer (next to the vodka), twist, turn, knife - got it. Or maybe I'll try hot water first.

Wiggy
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
You don't think I have time to read all these trheads, do you?

No, that'd just be silly. Wink

Wiggy wrote:
Freezer (next to the vodka), twist, turn, knife - got it. Or maybe I'll try hot water first.

Problem with hot water is that it softens the figure, so you could end up just twisting the figure around.

On the plus side, hot water is good for fixing a bent or out of shape piece on the mini.

Get the water boiling (or just to it), put it in a cup, and then dunk the mini in it. Fish it back out (not with your fingers please Surprised ), and the mini will be easy to remold. Hold it in that position, and then duck it in room temperature or colder water to reset it.

They say this works really well. Wink

I also understand you can use a hair dryer on its hottest setting for a similar effect. The nice thing about the boiling water though is that it automatically controls the temperature, keeping it below the melting point of the plastic used for the minis.

www.peginc.com
Rich Stokes
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought:

If you didn't re-base the minis, you could put them on their "dead/KO'd" setting to denote shaken status.

I use Lego figures, which demand a similar 1.5" scale. It works for me, but then I have a massive coffee table. I print floorplans on A3 and get Acrobat to scale them up automatically.
Shadowdragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With extras, especially if I need a bunch of them, I tend to use plastic or paper minis. They are much cheaper, and they don't need to look good. For characters, villains, and special monsters I will only use metal as I want them to actually look good. Of course I have 10+ years of amature painting experience so I can whip up decent looking paint jobs pretty quickly. For anyone who can't paint, or doesn't have time to paint, the prepainted plastic minis are your best option. Prepainted minis may not look as good as hand-painted minis, but they look much better than unpainted minis. Personally I think the D&D minis look better than WizKids minis by far. They are just better sculpted and better painted (except for the last set of D&D minis which seem to be missing half their paint steps).
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used Heroclix for M&M, DnD for Evernight, flats for 50F (for the atmosphere).

We'll probably use Cardboard Heroes for TRES and Deadlands flats for Rippers (and of course, for Deadlands).

Mageknight seemed expensive for our purposes since we had Cardboard Heroes already, but one of my players plunked down some cash on Ebay for ~150 DnD figs so we use those for anything plausible. Great for EN and fills in occasionally for 50F.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said before, I have a pair of shears that are good for cutting metal. You can tire your hands out after a while, but they do work and let you trim around whatever footing the figure has. I pop the dial off and cut away whatever I can from the attached part while still leaving enough for the figure to stand.

My friend Craig Henson recently came across some insane deals for MK figs and got me a few hundred more, so I've had some sore hands for a while.

I've been wondering how to share the information about what D&D, MK, and HeroScape figures I use for various iconic Shaintar things without crossing any legal wire. I want to promote the use of the minis, which I would think would be good for the manufacturers, but I don't want to create any legal issues or licensing issues.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dap6000
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a lot of 100 MK figs on ebay for about a quarter each. They are a random assortment, but I really don't care that much about matching the figures to the critters they are standing in for.

I've got a 1.5 scale battle mat. That worked well for EN. But I've got a 1 inch scale mondo mat (or is it mega mat? the medium size) for NE. I've heard you can get 1 inch steel washers for 7 cents each at the local hardware store and these make excelent bases for rescaling MK or HK figures. The extra weight at the bottom also helps prevent tipping.

My other option is I've got a hell of a lot of supers themed character sketches that I could probably edit enough to use as paper minis. Probably violates some copyright laws, but it's personal use and I don't think it'll be an issue as long as I don't try to sell them or something. If I go that route, I'll pick up the NE figure flats and just use the other, possible copyrighted stuff (some of it is certainly copyrighted) just to give my players a wider range to chose from for their own figures.

One more note: For EN I had little problem scaling the templates from my PDF to 150% and printing them out. I had to isolate the cone template on a page by itself and make it go from one corner of the page to the other, but it just fit. Some decent image editing software comes in real handy here. My wife's a professional designer so I borrowed her copy of Photoshop for the job.
bloodshadows
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group uses Heroclix, and through the removal and replacement of body parts, bending and painting... they've made custom figures of their characters that look awesome! One of my players made his Huckster from our old Deadlands campaign... He used the head of GhostRider as the leading end of his SoulBlast. It looks unbelieveable.
So, customization is always an option as far as PC minis. Of course, we're using Heroclix.... I'm not sure how well MK or D&D minis would work.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: