Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All SW Core Rules Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Wild Attack Reply with quote

OK, this is from my player. Can You do a wild attack and a called shot ? For instance, wild attack aimed at head? With common sense, it is possible, but maybe not with all weapons and all attacks (I cannot imagine a wild attack with 2h Axe aimed at eyes... )
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Attack Reply with quote

Piotr Ramel Korys wrote:
OK, this is from my player. Can You do a wild attack and a called shot ? For instance, wild attack aimed at head? With common sense, it is possible, but maybe not with all weapons and all attacks (I cannot imagine a wild attack with 2h Axe aimed at eyes... )

Yes. Unless they specifically state they are exclusive (such as Defend), maneuvers can be combined.

An important thing to remember is not to get completely caught up in the nomenclature. A Wild Attack does not mean "wild" in the sense of "uncontrolled," but in the sense of "risky."

A fencer who goes in for a cool calculated thrust, knowing full well he is leaving himself open for a counterattack, is performing a Wild Attack as much as the screaming barbarian with an axe.

Ultimately though, yes, it can be done. Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, new to SW, and the boards and had a question involving Knockout Blows.

First, the secondary effect of Battered and Bruised only applies if you get that condition. Its not a normal part of Incapacitated, right?

Next, the rules say you can get multiple Bleeding Outs and Mortally Woundeds. You make Vigor rolls for each one separately. Let's say a hero is Bleeding Out twice. He succeeds at one Bigor check, and fails at another. Now is he Bleeding Out and Mortally Wounded?

Also, if you have multiple Bleeding Outs or Mortally Woundeds, do you have to stabilize each one separately?

Thanks for the help. I look forward to running a dark fantasy campaign with SW soon, and hopefully these boards will help out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker of Truth wrote:
Hey everyone, new to SW, and the boards and had a question involving Knockout Blows.

Welcome!

Seeker of Truth wrote:
First, the secondary effect of Battered and Bruised only applies if you get that condition. Its not a normal part of Incapacitated, right?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the "secondary effect." If you mean can you make a roll to recover from being Incapacitated to only being Shaken on any other effect levels on the KO Blow table, I think you have it correct.

Each level is separate and not cumulative.

Seeker of Truth wrote:
Next, the rules say you can get multiple Bleeding Outs and Mortally Woundeds. You make Vigor rolls for each one separately. Let's say a hero is Bleeding Out twice. He succeeds at one Bigor check, and fails at another. Now is he Bleeding Out and Mortally Wounded?

Also, if you have multiple Bleeding Outs or Mortally Woundeds, do you have to stabilize each one separately?

This post should help answer your questions. If not, let me know.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99696&highlight=mortal+wound#99696

Just remember as it states there, multiple KO Blow effects are exceedingly rare in the game, so don't worry about it too much.

Hope this helps!

www.peginc.com
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Clint! One other quick question. I was makin up a couple of characters to run through a combat by myself, to get a better handle on the rules, and was looking at armor closer.

Am I wrong, or does heavier armor not penalize dexterous tasks, something akin to (dare I say it) d20's Armor Check Penalty or Max Dex Bonus. If there isn't, that's not a big deal, since it just used to cause headaches in my D&D days. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker of Truth wrote:
Thanks for the help Clint! One other quick question. I was makin up a couple of characters to run through a combat by myself, to get a better handle on the rules, and was looking at armor closer.

Am I wrong, or does heavier armor not penalize dexterous tasks, something akin to (dare I say it) d20's Armor Check Penalty or Max Dex Bonus. If there isn't, that's not a big deal, since it just used to cause headaches in my D&D days. Thanks.

There's no penalties from wearing armor per se, but the encumbrance might cause you to suffer penalties.

Wiggy
Cybrarian
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Tactical Questions Reply with quote

I have some questions dealing with miniatures on a grid.

There are a few tangential references to facing in the rules, but I can't find any formal discussion of how to handle it. Does the player simply choose a facing each turn, even though those turns represent 6 seconds and presumably a fair amount of moving about?

Shields on page 38 talks about being, "hit by a ranged attack from the protected side..." Which hex or square sides are protected? Half of them, centered on the front shield hand side corner, perhaps?

Reach of weapons is defined on page 37, but what is actually meant by being 1" distant? If you figured distances hex/square (h/s) center to h/s center, this would only be the adjacent h/s. If you presume that you can move to the nearest edge of your h/s and find a target at the nearest edge of their h/s, a reach of 1" would allow you to attack with one h/s between you and the target. I'm guessing the intention was this latter version.

A forty foot (<7") long dragon can Tail Lash an area basically 3" in radius. Does that mean that the entire back half of the dragon is tail?

Is anyone compiling errata for SWR? The only errata I've found online are for some of the campaign books. The dragon's Fiery Breath on page 126 incorrectly refers to page 97 instead of page 95. Then there is the Giant Killer issue which I referenced earlier in this thread.

I'm a long-time GURPS (and before that TFT) GM/player and maybe I've been warped into asking these kinds of questions by that experience. Laughing
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactical Questions Reply with quote

Cybrarian wrote:
There are a few tangential references to facing in the rules, but I can't find any formal discussion of how to handle it. Does the player simply choose a facing each turn, even though those turns represent 6 seconds and presumably a fair amount of moving about?

Shields on page 38 talks about being, "hit by a ranged attack from the protected side..." Which hex or square sides are protected? Half of them, centered on the front shield hand side corner, perhaps?

On page 40 under the listing for shield, it says they protect the front and left, presuming a right-handed character.

And players can pretty much choose their facing. It's mainly an issue when faced with multiple attacks.

Cybrarian wrote:
Reach of weapons is defined on page 37, but what is actually meant by being 1" distant? If you figured distances hex/square (h/s) center to h/s center, this would only be the adjacent h/s. If you presume that you can move to the nearest edge of your h/s and find a target at the nearest edge of their h/s, a reach of 1" would allow you to attack with one h/s between you and the target. I'm guessing the intention was this latter version.

Yes, 1" of reach allows a character to attack someone with one square separating them. A weapon without reach can only attack adjacent targets.

Cybrarian wrote:
A forty foot (<7") long dragon can Tail Lash an area basically 3" in radius. Does that mean that the entire back half of the dragon is tail?

I guess it means about 3/7 of the dragon is tail. I'm not sure of the issue exactly, but there is a real-world precedent. Half of an alligator's length is typically tail.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the setting question thread...

RahnThundercaller wrote:
Does arcane resistance add to your agility roll in the case of a fire burst template since the casting roll is the target number to dodge?

Nope, that's a matter of avoiding not resisting.

RahnThundercaller wrote:
Does it give its bonus on guts checks vs magical fear? and if so +2/+4 for standard/improved?

I'd say yes.

RahnThundercaller wrote:
Against AE attacks like blast, does the increase in target number to hit you work like deflection in that it adds armor? ie: Against a bolt, arcane resistance increases the target number to cast on you by 2, and gives you an additional 2 toughness, but against blast it gives +4 toughness because the spell doesn't target you directly, so the +2 to hit you goes to toughness?

Arcane Resistance does not increase the TN for spells like bolt. It provides Armor versus damaging effects and a bonus to the character if they are allowed a roll to resist.

It's just as easy to hit a character with Arcane Resistance; it's just not as easy to affect them.

Hope this clears things up.

www.peginc.com
Exterminator!
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to Savage Worlds, and english's not my primary language. So forgive my faults.
I'm trying to create a setting mixing modern espionage (in The Prisoner or The Avengers style), the William Burroughs and Philipp K. Dick novels and comics (like The Planetary).

I'm sorry if these questions have already been asked before.

1. In the description of the Holy/Unholy Warrior edge, it's written that "repulsing evil costs 1 Power Point...". What I understand is that this cost is for all evil creatures included in the range. But, in the Edge Summary, it's written "Cost is 1 Power Point per creature affected". Then which version is the good one? I'm tempted to choose the second one, but maybe I'm wrong...

2. What's the difference in game between Champion and Holy/Unholy Warrior? Champion is it an improved version of H/U Warrior (like an upper level)? And in this case, do players have to take H/U Warrior before upgrading to Champion?

Thanks for your answers.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exterminator! wrote:
1. In the description of the Holy/Unholy Warrior edge, it's written that "repulsing evil costs 1 Power Point...". What I understand is that this cost is for all evil creatures included in the range. But, in the Edge Summary, it's written "Cost is 1 Power Point per creature affected". Then which version is the good one? I'm tempted to choose the second one, but maybe I'm wrong...

1 PP total. The summary is incorrect.

Exterminator! wrote:
2. What's the difference in game between Champion and Holy/Unholy Warrior? Champion is it an improved version of H/U Warrior (like an upper level)? And in this case, do players have to take H/U Warrior before upgrading to Champion?

The two Edges just have different effects. As long as a character meets the requirements, they can take either. They simply provide different abilities to the faithful.

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another damage related question. Seems to be the only thing in the rules I have any problems understanding, which is better than most RPGs I've played.

If a character is Incapacitated from Damage or Fatigue, what happens if he becomes Incapacitated from the other?

Ex: Character is Incap from Fatigue, then gets shot a few times.

I know the situation is a HIGHLY special case, and probably wouldn't happen, but I was just curious. I play with a few rules lawyers who grumble if they aren't given a direct answer.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker of Truth wrote:
Another damage related question. Seems to be the only thing in the rules I have any problems understanding, which is better than most RPGs I've played.

If a character is Incapacitated from Damage or Fatigue, what happens if he becomes Incapacitated from the other?

Ex: Character is Incap from Fatigue, then gets shot a few times.

I know the situation is a HIGHLY special case, and probably wouldn't happen, but I was just curious. I play with a few rules lawyers who grumble if they aren't given a direct answer.

This post (mainly the last point) may help.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99696&highlight=mortal+wound#99696

Basically though, Incapacitated is a condition like Shaken. It's like a switch, on or off.

As fars as the example goes. If a character was Incapacitated due to Fatigue and then shot, that would basically be a Finishing Move because the character is helpless, and they would be dead.

If it was an area effect attack or the result of the Innocent Bystander rule, then the character would already be Incapacitated, they would just have to worry about the rolls on the KO Blow table (and the fact they are facing a -5 base penalty to those rolls).

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it be a -5 penalty? If someone were Incapacitated from fatigue, there would be a -2 penalty to the rolls, that I know. Where's the rest of the penalty come from?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker of Truth wrote:
Why would it be a -5 penalty? If someone were Incapacitated from fatigue, there would be a -2 penalty to the rolls, that I know. Where's the rest of the penalty come from?

If they have reached the KO Blow table due to damage, then they have taken 3 Wounds. -3 for Wounds and -2 for Fatigue levels = a base -5 penalty.

www.peginc.com
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if they were ONLY Incap due to fatigue, there would be a -2 penalty to all Trait tests, right?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker of Truth wrote:
But if they were ONLY Incap due to fatigue, there would be a -2 penalty to all Trait tests, right?

Well, sort of. Just to be clear, since they are Incapacitated, they can't do anything, but if they needed to make some kind of passive roll, yeah, it would be at -2.

www.peginc.com
Dragonpale1
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, there. I'm a newbie and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't find it if so.

I've got an adventure idea and am trying to stat out some critters for the party to encounter, but I'm getting a bit puzzled by the relative sizes of the combatants and accompanying bonus/penalties. Right now I read P 124 of SWR as: attacker base size (for example, humans at 0) against size -2, gives a -2 penalty; attacker base size +4 gives a +2 to hit ("Large"), and size +8 ("Huge") gives +4 to hit. The text implies that this is relative.

My question is, am I reading this correctly? Do the intervals "slide" so that a half-folk (-1) vs. an orc (+1) has the same property as a pixie (-2) vs. a human? And how does it work specifically in reverse? The example of an elephant vs. a pixie indicates a +4 bonus to the pixie's roll and a -4 for the elephant to attack the pixie, but a -4 penalty hadn't been mentioned in the text up until that point. Overall, I'm wondering if there are some puzzle pieces that I am not seeing. If anyone can explain this better, I'd be grateful.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonpale1 wrote:
Hello, there. I'm a newbie and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't find it if so.

I've got an adventure idea and am trying to stat out some critters for the party to encounter, but I'm getting a bit puzzled by the relative sizes of the combatants and accompanying bonus/penalties. Right now I read P 124 of SWR as: attacker base size (for example, humans at 0) against size -2, gives a -2 penalty; attacker base size +4 gives a +2 to hit ("Large"), and size +8 ("Huge") gives +4 to hit. The text implies that this is relative.

My question is, am I reading this correctly? Do the intervals "slide" so that a half-folk (-1) vs. an orc (+1) has the same property as a pixie (-2) vs. a human? And how does it work specifically in reverse? The example of an elephant vs. a pixie indicates a +4 bonus to the pixie's roll and a -4 for the elephant to attack the pixie, but a -4 penalty hadn't been mentioned in the text up until that point. Overall, I'm wondering if there are some puzzle pieces that I am not seeing. If anyone can explain this better, I'd be grateful.

Let's see if I can make this clearer.

The first thing to remember is that Small/Large/Huge is it's own "ability." While Size can be used to determine it, it is not part of the ability itself.

What that means is there is no sliding scale. An orc and a half-folk have no bonus or penalty to hit each other because neither has the Small/Large/Huge ability.

Now, the effect is relative. Perhaps it would help to show the modifiers based on category. The modifiers given are the base for most PC's (we'll call that size Average) and go like this....

Average vs.
Small: -2
Average: 0
Large: +2
Huge: +4

Small vs.
Small: 0
Average: +2
Large: +4
Huge: +6

Large vs.
Small: -4
Average: -2
Large: 0
Huge: +2

Huge vs.
Small: -6
Average: -4
Large: -2
Huge: 0

Now, you can see that pretty simply any creature with this ability is going to have the opposite modifier against Average (PC) sized foes. If the creature is +4 to be hit, it suffers a -4 to hit Average characters. Or it is -2 to be hit, it gains a +2 to hit Average characters.

In the rare occasions that non-Average creatures are in a battle, then the relative modifiers come in. Thus the example of an elephant (Large) fighting a Pixie (Small) gives the +4/-4 modifiers as described above.

Hope this helps! Let me know if anything is unclear.

www.peginc.com
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Seeker of Truth wrote:

If they have reached the KO Blow table due to damage, then they have taken 3 Wounds. -3 for Wounds and -2 for Fatigue levels = a base -5 penalty.

If a friend were trying to stabilize the character, would the Healing (or magic) roll be at -3 for the wounds only or -5 for the wounds and fatigue of the character being helped (assuming the character doing the healing is unwounded and not fatigued)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 10 of 42

Jump to: